No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Marks Collection - Free download  (Read 6364 times)

Offline butchiedog

• Members
Glass Marks Collection - Free download
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 05:05:59 PM »
Good day all,

I apologize to bubbles and those who couldn't get the download to work. I sent out an email to the site and they say they are having some problems they need to work on. I was all prepared to go for the pay version too, but until they get their act together and things are working properly on the introductory version I am putting that notion on hold.

If anyone would still like the files they can email me at anewp@indy.rr.com with "Glass Marks" + ZIP or RAR in the subject and I will gladly send the file as an attachment, which surprisingly downloads very fast that way too, seeing that they are very small files.

Anne,

As I said;  feel free to do whatever you like with these. My aim is mainly to make them available in as many places as possible, for people who might need them. The more websites there are, where people can access information on glass marks the better for all of us. There once were a few very good sites for this purpose, but over time the majority have disappeared from the internet for whatever reason.

All I ask of anyone who uses these is to not prohibit others from copying them for their own purpose and to mention somewhere that these marks impressed into the glass, not etched, engraved or scans of printed paper labels. There is one large, popular glass marks site out there, (will say no names) that shows plenty of images in a very nicely formatted fashion, but they make no separation or mention as to whether one is looking at a pressed, etched, engraved mark or something that is only printed on a paper label. This aspect sort of renders the site useless to a good degree for many people.

Deltab,

Yes;  sharing is quite rewarding, plus another big reward for me is that I inadvertently learn a great deal about glassware that I would never have taken the time to learn about, for lack of collecting interest in some of the glass itself. Besides collecting, painting, carpentry, music and a number of other favorite past times, I enjoy reading the histories of many different manufacturing processes from the beginning of the industrial age to the present. A good deal of the information I learn there is often applicable to some unrelated project I am working on. So I guess I am admitting that sharing some glass marks isn't that selfless of an act on my part. I get as much, if not more out of it than the people I am sharing something with. As for the ebay Me-Page with the glass marks;  that is in need of some work and those download links need to be removed. The new list contains many more glass marks than are on that page if you are interested.

Well;  I think I will go and edit that ebay page right now.

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 02:43:09 PM »
Mike, a quick question I should have asked before and didn't... are the pictures your own work and copyright? I'm assuming they are but need to check before I go further with adding to the Labels Album.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 03:41:14 PM »
Anne,  

I drew each and every one of those images myself and yes;   they are copyright, for the sole purpose of keeping someone else from claiming them as their own and denying others the right to use them.   Also;  each image is ID coded is a special way, which I won't explain how for obvious reasons. Of course the images can be easily  altered if one cared to do all of the work, but anyone who has the original non-altered copies is protected from any claims being made by someone who would do that.

One more thing...

I made an error on one of the images and have since emailed the correct replacement image to all of those who have requested and downloaded the file via email. For anyone who downloaded the file from a link in this thread;  here is the correct replacement image.

A number of glass makers used a triangle as part of their logo, (some inverted,) so rather than draw a triangle for each mark (lazy me) I recycled the triangle and added the letter or rest of the mark to it. In this case I chose the inverted triangle for the Cambridge glass mark, which is incorrect.

All one needs to do is copy the correct mark from here and paste it into their folder, over writing the other.

Sorry about the goof. --- Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 04:00:08 PM »
Thanks Mike, that covers GlassGallery from a copyright point of view. Much appreciated. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand