No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sue Burne glass engraver - Graal vase  (Read 3414 times)

Offline SueB

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • Sue Burne Glass Engraver
Sue Burne glass engraver - Graal vase
« on: September 07, 2006, 11:10:37 PM »
Hello folks

I thought you might be interested in my latest engraving. It is my first Graal and went quite well I thought.

The finished vase is 20cm high and very heavy crystal.

I only collected it from the glass blower this morning and I only finished engraving it a few days ago.

http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL816/400524/2690511/185342791.jpg <--- Mod: Link dead

Best wishes
Sue

Offline Leni

• Members
My Graal vase
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 12:41:31 AM »
Lovely!  Congratulations, Sue!  I's very good indeed!   :D
Leni

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
My Graal vase
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 06:42:32 AM »
:shock: Well done, Sue. Very nice, very nice indeed :!:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
My Graal vase
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 07:38:55 AM »
Nice, did you engrave the blank?

Offline SueB

• Glass Professional
  • Members
My Graal vase
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 06:34:34 PM »
Thanks folks

Yes Frank I was given the embryo by the glass blower. He surprised me with it as a present. It had layers of clear, white, blue, green, red and finally black outside.

I carved through the layers like a cameo then took it back for him to put on a layer of clear and blow it.

I expected the finished bowl to have more red but the colour seems to have been fleeting. I think we'll try different makes of colour next time. The blower says they have better ones now.

It's a very heavy bowl and looks best with a strong light on it. I think we won't bother with a white inner layer on the next one I try.

But I was pleased with it for a first attempt!

I've been to the Victoria and Albert Museum in London today and drooled over all the glass there.

Best wishes

Sue

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
My Graal vase
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 07:28:12 PM »
Cool it is usually sandblasted out. See my bits by Lindean Mill here http://www.scotlandsglass.com/People/LindeanMill.htm <--- Mod: Dead link

How long did it take you to engrave that much glass away :shock: and how big was the embryo. I love Graal (figurative) just can't afford it usually, I got those pieces in lusher days :(

Offline SueB

• Glass Professional
  • Members
My Graal vase
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 08:14:48 PM »
The embryo was about the size of a large man's fist. So it is considerably enlarged now at 20cm high.

I thought about sandblasting the design but having so many coloured layers I couldn't quite get my brain round how to plan it out and sort out the order in which to remove bits of mask for multistage. It's complicated enough doing multistage sandblasting on a piece of clear glass.

The outer black layer was really thick and hard then the red seemed rather thin. The layers were not the same thickness all over either so I was glad I'd decided to hand carve.
It took me about 12 hours to do the engraving.
I also found the dust (I do use an extractor and a dust mask) kept obliterating what I was doing and I needed to keep washing the work to see where I'd got to.

I am going to have to find a rich customer for this piece!

Sue

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
My Graal vase
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 08:29:37 PM »
Congratulations Sue - it's absolutely amazing!  What a clever clogs you are - I can only imagine the sense of achievement when you see the final result.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
My Graal vase
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 08:41:12 PM »
It must be astonishingly heart stopping when you first open the package,

It sounds bad enough clearing away the dust to see what you are creating when you are creating it... but then to send it away, and not know at all what you will end up with... true art.  True Courage

8)
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline SueB

• Glass Professional
  • Members
My Graal vase
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 09:42:39 PM »
You're right. It was scary not really knowing how it would look when finished. There are 3 fish on the bowl. The other two "Koi" now look more like pike....but I still like them! :D

http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL816/400524/2690511/185342793.jpg

http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL816/400524/2690511/185342786.jpg
<--- Mod: Links dead

I nearly went to the glassworks to watch the final blowing but I thought it might put the blower off. The rotter phoned me the next day and told me he'd dropped it! Fortunately I guessed he was teasing!

I hope we can do more graal. I'd like to do all sorts of subjects. I've got lots of ideas.

Sue

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand