No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Filigrana Research Project  (Read 2019 times)

Offline chuggy

• Members
Filigrana Research Project
« on: September 09, 2006, 01:22:00 PM »
Just one small point in response to some earlier discussions on who has made various filigrana pieces over the years I've decided to spend the coming winter trying to clarify as much as possible. I've contacted the archives of a number of the Murano glass houses and intend initially to try and cover the period 1930-1980. If anyone has signed or labelled pieces , an e-mail with pictures would be appreciated. I'm aiming to primarily pin down which patterns were used by individual manufacturers over which periods. Initially this research will be for my own knowledge and to be shared with those interested, but depending on how well it comes together, may possibly end up as a book, but too early to tell at this stage.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 04:04:43 PM »
I wish you well with that project, Paul. I hope you can make good progress on what I think is a fascinating subject.

Unfortnately I have no signed or labelled examples, so cannot contribute.

Somehow, I suspect you may find that, as with general millefiori canes (murrine), the actual filigrana may have been made by a few folk but used by many.

Will you also be trying to get examples of similar Chinese (and other?) wares that use much the same type of filigrana? Although some people claim that the Chinese versions can be identified by the type and structure of the filigrana, I am not so sure about that. But a good, solid  reference to true Murano items will be a wonderful thing.
KevinH

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 05:02:26 PM »
Paul, what a noble enterprise!  I'm going to email you pics of the labeled filigrana pieces I've had over the years.  You might also want to contact Sheldon Barr and Tom Gardner (they have a website), authors of a nice book book on early Murano glass.  They might be willing to help.

Laura

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 05:27:47 PM »
Good move. Can I sugget you extend your coverage to current production. To this day, I regret not doing first han research into Strathearn Glass while they still exist. One reason I am putting some effort into getting Caithness data on-line now.

Frank

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 10:33:36 PM »
Wow Paul,
Thats a big job ahead of you.
Unfortunately, all my archived photos (which I didnt have back ups for) have been deleted since my computer crashed. I'll look to see which pieces I still have with me that are labeled and send them to you when I can.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
italia
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 12:10:19 AM »
The Glass Museum on Murano has an extensive library and archival and corporate material.

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 06:18:00 AM »
Thanks folks all contributions appreciated and I'm off to Murano for a week in November and have arranged access to the museum archives and also several key collections whilst I'm over there, who have agreed to let me photograph their documented pieces.
Paul

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Filigrana Research Project
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 10:58:40 AM »
Any progress?

Offline chuggy

• Members
Re: Filigrana Research Project
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 06:02:21 PM »
Two trips to Murano so far and research material and pictures currently run to 9 envelope folders. There is certainly a book to be done from all this and I'm heading back to Murano in June when I've arranged to spend a week going through much more archival material.
Paul

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand