No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Double-Overlay Rose ....  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Double-Overlay Rose ....
« on: September 08, 2006, 12:52:07 AM »
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3221

I believe this faceted paperweight is Murano.  It has an 1885 date cane as well as a Pauly & C. sticker.  I would like to find out more please ....

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

All the best .... Lily

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline THX1138

• Members
yup
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 02:15:52 AM »
Yes, it is Venetian/Murano. The date cane is one of those weird Murano things that somebody in Venice decided was cool to plop into paperweights made in the 1960s or 1970s. Nobody really knows what the date stands for - probability is that it's the year the specific glassmaker was founded, but no proof has ever been provided. The Italians are notoriously lax about signing weights, recordkeeping, and keeping a history of their Muranese products. Some enterprising Italian writer who loves glass and knows the Murano workers really should tackle a major writing project about the history of Murano glass, including paperweights.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline m1asmithw8s

• Members
    • http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/m1asmith/
Double-Overlay Rose ....
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 05:24:12 AM »
Yes it's definitely Murano.
I have 2 Murano roses with date canes, one a nice pedestal piece with an 1852 date cane. The other is a door knob with a faceted dbl. overlay rose weight, much like yours, attached to the brass fitting. I forget which date they put in that one.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Double-Overlay Rose ....
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 10:14:05 PM »
Thank you, THX1138 and Mark, for your input.  I just wish there were better records kept by the makers.  Am I correct in my understanding that Pauly & C. is a higher-end glass gallery?    

Mark, your paperweight album is really something--a feast for the eyes to say the least!  I'm enjoying looking at it.

I'll post another weight soon .... Lily

(Hope things worked out with the Murano fish weight.)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand