No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: corning "donut" vase  (Read 5146 times)

Offline janinedangelo

• Members
corning "donut" vase
« on: September 10, 2006, 12:00:21 AM »
I recently found a carnival glass vase that was described as a donut bowl. There's a similar style vase on ebay that is described as a melon ribbed vase. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110029280010 like to find out some more information on this style and when it was produced, if anyone can provide a bit more information.
regards,
Janine

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
corning "donut" vase
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 08:18:42 AM »
Janine, if you edit your post and include the word 'Carnival' into the 'Subject' field this should alert the right people. Glen hopefully.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
corning "donut" vase
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 08:25:46 AM »
Possibly add 'Australian' too, as Cathy B has tons of these types of vases.  :lol:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
corning "donut" vase
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 08:30:51 AM »
Many thanks David and Della.

Coincidentally we discussed these vases a few weeks ago. http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2287.0.html

The vase is known as a "Melon Rib" vase, and is one of a range of similarly shaped marigold (and some other Carnival colours) vases. They have been given the collective pattern name "Melon Rib" despite variations in the shape, height, width etc.

The maker is not currently confirmed (imho). An entire display of these kind of vases were on display on the Crown Crystal (Australia) stand at the 1938 Sydney Show. A photo of the stand is shown in "Carnival Glass of Australia". The vases are mainly found in Australia, although they do (rarely) turn up elsewhere.

I suspect they were made in Europe - but I am not able to confirm the maker yet. The eBay one you show also has a label, which is nice. The "Suprima" label has been seen on the vases before, and I suspect it was an importer's or wholesaler's label - but I do not have proof of that. Just a hunch.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
corning "donut" vase
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 09:00:28 AM »
I'm adding this in a fresh post rather than editing my previous reply (above). In going back over the thread that I linked to, I noticed something I didn't see previously, and that was a link that Della gave to an old thread where Cathy Bannister had posted about her Melon Rib vases. (Della - I think I must have skim read the posts and not realised you gave a live link  :shock: doh!)

Cathy seems to have some evidence of mould production at Crown Crystal for some of the large vases. I've not seen this before and would love to find out more. To add to my current feelings re. production of some of these vases in Europe, I would add that I have seen what I believe is catalogue evidence.

Of course it is always possible that a proportion were imported (probably the smaller ones) and then the larger versions (and there are some HUGE examples) were copied and made in Australia.

There's no doubt that this is a complex and not immediately solvable issue. The one thing that we can say with clear, "no worries", fact - the vase is called MELON RIB.  :D

Glen

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
corning "donut" vase
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 09:15:15 AM »
Hi Glen  :D  :D

Quote from: "Glen"
(Della - I think I must have skim read the posts and not realised you gave a live link  doh!)

Actually, Glen, that was quite easy to miss as a link wasn't obviously visible. I had discovered that I could create a link without having to post a long URL: quite handy sometimes, but not always obvious.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
corning "donut" vase
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 09:33:29 AM »
Della - you (and anyone else who creates those links without the million character version that I usually do) has my endless admiration.

I tried to do it once (following instructions) but my brain did something that was akin to an engine sputtering and "konking out".  :oops:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Glen

Offline janinedangelo

• Members
corning "donut" vase
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 10:10:02 AM »
Thanks all for the information re the vase. I thought it was the same as another vase that I have....also like this one on ebay strangely enough 290026289467
I am not sure if they are part of the same design and I don't know if mine is uranium glass as it looks more to me as though it is marigold carnival glass.
If they are the same then the date for the above ebay must be wrong.
regards and many thanks again,
Janine

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
corning "donut" vase
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 01:11:39 PM »
I very much doubt that the vase on ebay contains uranium. I see no sign of even the faintest green glow. If it did contain uranium I would doubt that it was 1950s, more likely earlier.

Offline janinedangelo

• Members
corning "donut" vase
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 08:08:33 PM »
Dear Christine,
thanks for the reply. I'll invest in a black light to see if mine has any uranium which I very much doubt as mine looks like carnival glass to me too!
regards,
Janine

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand