No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Very odd amethyst vase  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Gill

• Members
Very odd amethyst vase
« on: September 10, 2006, 05:32:36 PM »
And another!
This one is odd, I think so anyway.  The base, into which the purple vase bit is set is like a clear glass hollow doughnut (more technical talk) this has a rough pontil to base.  The edge of the purple section is quite rough on one side, i don't know if this happened in manufacture, or it's damage, or someone has sliced it like that afterwards. I'll be interested to see what you think, cheers, Gill    Surely they're not all Chinese!

URL: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3138

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Very odd amethyst vase
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 05:39:59 PM »
probably Polish, and of recent vintage. Nice design, very inspired...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Very odd amethyst vase
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 11:36:01 PM »
There were a lot of pieces of glass at MFI with this flat cut, sloped off rim (yep at it again with the technical stuff) design, but with quite a few different colours and designs.  I didn't see this particular one but it might be worth a look if you have a store nearby (this is where I press submit and then see you are on another continent!  Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
oh brother, do i want this
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 12:32:30 AM »
Wow, wow wow. I love this vase. Absolutely love it. Where did you buy this? What did it cost? Are there others? If it's modern, is it a factory piece or a studio piece? I really want something like this.

Offline Gill

• Members
Very odd amethyst vase
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 08:18:53 AM »
Just a charity shop find Chris, as for maker that's still anyone's guess, wish I knew, a row of them in different colours would look good.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Very odd amethyst vase
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 09:36:33 AM »
My guess would be that it started life somewhat taller and more regular and a large part of the top half is missing through damage. I think that someone has done rather a good repair job on it and it probably looks just as nice, if not nicer than the original :D
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Gill

• Members
Very odd amethyst vase
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 09:54:08 AM »
Thanks Aaron, yes I've always felt that maybe the "damage" was caused by the slicing. thanks for the links, lovely stuff, yes I probably would be up for having a go, will email, cheers, Gill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand