No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: British Licensed Gulvases....  (Read 23038 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: British Licensed Gulvases....
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 04:35:46 PM »
I still think it's quite possible that Cascade reproduced several Scandi designs within the UK under license. Much of their known non-Gulvase output does seem to be very Scandinavian in appearance.

Fingers crossed the research will shed some light on it, but it may be a while with all of the other Holmegaard stuff I'm up to my eyeballs in right now.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2007, 08:56:32 AM »
Here's an example of the light blue Gulvase up for auction:

HERE

These don't seem to pop up as often as the other non-Holmegaard colours.

Offline kisslikeether

• Members
    • 20th Century Scandianvian
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 07:12:22 PM »
Very old post I know but just to clarify Cascade Glass was a tradename used by Chance Brothers & Co of Birmingham who were the licence holders to make the Gulvase in the 1970s.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 07:41:08 PM »
That's interesting. What's the source of your information?

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 07:55:26 PM »
There is a link on great-glass.co.uk

http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/glossf-m.htm

'Gulvvase'
The 'Gulvvase' (literally 'floor vase', sometimes also referred to as 'telescope vase'), was designed by Otto Brauer, Master Glassblower at Kastrup, in about 1962. At first they were only produced in an uncased dark olive-green, amber and dark blue (by Kastrup, and later Kastrup-Holmegaard). Kastrup also made them in opal (white) glass cased in clear, probably around 1963/64. Around 1967 they were re-issued in yellow, cased in clear glass, and opal cased in coloured glass. The colour range was opal/blue, opal/red, opal/green, and a very few using Kastrup's original dark olive-green over opal. Around 1970/71 an opal/yellow version was introduced and the opal/clear and yellow/clear versions were phased out. The size range was 25cm, 30cm, 38cm, 43cm, and 50cm (although not all colours were available in all sizes). The vase is also found in clear, light blue, smoke-grey, and 'rauchtopaz' (a sort of 'smoky amber'). These were made, under license from Holmegaard, by Chance Brothers of Birmingham, England, under the tradename 'Cascade Glass'

However, I have yet to see any evidence, written or otherwise, to support this so I will ask Philip where he got this information from. I just cannot reconcile this.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 08:04:25 PM »
Most of that info is from my (very outdated) Holmegaard site, but I've never heard of a link between Chance and Cascade.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 08:08:58 PM »
I haven't studied this thread in great depth, but could Cascade have been importing into the UK under license, rather than manufacturing?

I also noticed this on Glass Gallery:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5886
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 08:21:27 PM »
I considered that they were importers, as much of their stuff has a decidedly Scandi bent, but dismissed it on grounds of parsimony - the additional colours used for the Cascade Gulvvaser appear nowhere else in Holmegaard's palatte, and Holmegaard was a fairly big name so why buy it in and rebrand it with something obscure? Other importers of Holmegaard from the period plastered the factory name all over their adverts.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 08:30:45 PM »
Cascade also put their name to these piggybanks:

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 08:19:36 AM »
Thanks for that Nic. I would be very surprised if Chance had anything to do with the Cascade brand, unless it (or Pilkington) bought up an importing or manufacturing company. That is the only way, I believe, that there could be a link.

As for Chance physically making these items? That does stretch my imagination. But I will ask Ray Drury as he can answer technical queries regarding glass colours and Tony Cartwright who might help with the Cascade brandname.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand