No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: British Licensed Gulvases....  (Read 23039 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: British Licensed Gulvases....
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 09:46:07 AM »
XL pig in clear, small pig in smoke here, both with label:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,37074.0.html

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2010, 11:28:25 AM »
Could Woods Brothers have made the licensed Gulvases? They did manufacture similar items for Dartington for a short period (1978).

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2010, 11:46:40 AM »
I have (or have had - I can't find it) a (bright, not smoky) amber Gulvase with a Cascade label. I'm pretty sure it was about 30cm tall. It's either packed away, or M persuaded me to give it back to a charity shop.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2010, 12:09:11 PM »
Could Woods Brothers have made the licensed Gulvases? They did manufacture similar items for Dartington for a short period (1978).

Stephen Pollock-Hill suggested them too:

I have a recollection that "Cascade Glass" was a trade mark used ( with a black and silver label of a fountain cascading down by one of our pressware comeptitors now defunct. So it may be Waterstone Glass of Wath upon Wear near Rotherham, Wood Bros, or Trent Valley.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2010, 01:20:12 PM »
A very comprehensive reply from Tony, which strongly debunks the link with Chance, I think:

This is interesting, because of course, the Woodland design started life as Cascade as pointed out on page 55 of Chance Expressions. But when I reflect I vaguely recall that the problem of the name originated from a complaint by a foreign manufacturer or importer. I also recall that it was not a similar product at all to our range and we thought a big and unnecessary fuss was made at the time. I remember that the Pilkington Legal department handled the matter and recall having a phone call one day to say that we had to change the name and could they have the new name straight away so that they could check validity and register it..  We hadn't chosen one at that time and I said Woodland there and then! That was it!

and later...

Hope this helps a little and that I have not confused the matter even further, but it did occur to me that because we did attempt to use the name Cascade and in fact printed literature and issued press releases it could have contributed to the Chance name becoming associated with this story!

My underline to highlight the cogent portion of the message. Must admit, I'd forgotten I'd written that about the 'Cascade/Woodland' pattern.  :-[

So I think that's the only link Chance could ever claim to being 'Cascade'!
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2010, 01:48:31 PM »
That certainly might explain the confusion.

Holmegaard had a series called 'Cascade' (1970-79), but then so too does Stuart (not sure, though, if this is a later series). There were likely others.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2010, 01:52:19 PM »
I also suggested Adams Pottery (Wedgwood) as it also had a pattern of this name from 1969-73. Chance's Woodland pattern is dated 1973 BTW.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline squizoid

• Members
    • My Glass
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2011, 11:27:48 PM »
Hi, I just picked up a gulvase with a Cascade label...thought I would share pics. It the middle one being 12" tall (next to 10" and 14"). The only difference I can see is that the rim is slightly rounded up (see pic)...not sure if this is normal for Cascade?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2011, 06:35:12 AM »
Thanks for that!!   :)  I've put one in the main glass section questioning confirmation of id, it's turquoise 10" and looks exactly like yours.  Can you measure the base of your 10"one please? and if possible weigh it for me?
I would be so grateful :sun:
m

Offline squizoid

• Members
    • My Glass
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2011, 09:40:06 AM »
Hi M, the 10" gulvase is just shy of 10" at 25cm tall the base is exactly 9cm wide, sorry...can't do the weight.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand