No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Nic (pinkspoons) a quick lamp question please  (Read 1644 times)

Offline BJB

• Members
Nic (pinkspoons) a quick lamp question please
« on: September 15, 2006, 01:36:38 PM »
Hi Nic,

Just an enquiry really, on my journies today I saw a very large,about 2' across, Italian glass lampshade, with orange blue and white stripes which looked just like an upside down handkerchief vase.

However with a price ticket of £100.00 and husband pale with the thought of trying to find box big enough to send it in if I bought it I left it.

BUT, was it a bargain and I should have bought it despite the row I could feel brewing, or very expensive for what it was.

Barbara

The shop had a no photograph policy, but if we go back and its still there I will take daughters camera phone and try and take a picture.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 01:57:51 PM »
I've seen a few handkerchief-esque shades, but usually only in plain white milk glass, or flashed / cased glass, and never anything that big! So 'fraid I can't really definitively help you on the price of it.

Going on instinct, I would say that £100-150 is about right for a shop price if you can't attribute it to anyone, just for the sheer size of it. However, if you were buying it to resell on eBay, you'd probably be looking at a £50-75 top price. People don't much like spending a lot of money on unattributed lighting which dates post-1950.

Example of a smaller, older 'handkerchief' lamp: Auction

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 02:24:36 PM »
Hi Nic,

Thats very like it, now just imagine bright orange and blue stripes!

To be honest I don't think I could sell something that large and delicate on ebay as the packing would be horrendous, size of box and amount of packing materials puts me off.

Will just gaze at it next time I'm passing.

Thanks,
Barbara

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand