No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Two Early Pendant Lamps; Opalescent & Cased  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Two Early Pendant Lamps; Opalescent & Cased
« on: September 14, 2006, 05:50:50 PM »
These two lamps arrived in the post from Germany yesterday - just wondering if anyone knew anything about them?

My guess is that both lamps date 1900-1920, and the cased glass one is almost certainly German as it bears a lot in common (in terms of shape) with designs by Peter Behrens for AEG c.1900-1910. I've no idea about the origins of the opalescent one, but it appears to have been slumped... with a bit of a helping hand (there are tooling marks in between the ruffles).

Cased Glass Unlit
Cased Glass Lit

Slumped Opalescent Lamp Unlit White b/g
Slumped Opalescent Lamp Unlit Black b/g
Slumped Opalescent Lamp Lit

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 07:23:28 AM »
Second one might be gas. But they are both a bit generic and could be older than 1900 too. I have a lot of catalogues that cover that period of lighting but nearly all are line or coarse early screened making it near impossible to match to a maker.

I'll get them all on-line one day in the not too distant future.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 07:40:36 AM »
It's okay - I'm long past expecting to find specific makers for the bulk of pre-30's lighting now.  :lol: Was just after a few suggestions of age and country of origin.

I hadn't pondered the opalescent one originally being from a gas fitting, though. The electric fittings are of the period, but not necessarily original to the shade - so it's very plausibly a marriage.

I'd love to see all the old lighting catalogues online some day - they would make a very interesting read.

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 07:37:26 PM »
Hello,

I agree that the opalescent shade appears to be a gas lamp shade, likely off-hand made, not slumped.

I am trying to figure out why you are calling the first one "cased"??? I can't tell very well by your photo, but it appears it might have a slight iridescent finish on the outer surface of the glass and if so, it puts me in mind of "Calcite Glass", which Fredrick Carder first developed for lighting fixture globes and shades and was later used to make art glass items too.

Just a though. --- Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 08:39:07 PM »
The first one is ordinary white cased in clear, with no irridescence to the surface.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand