No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina or not?  (Read 3002 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Mdina or not?
« on: September 15, 2006, 11:42:29 AM »
Hi all

Been away for a month or so now - work commitments have taken me abroad, I have just come back from Rhodes.

I bought some lovely 1990s Murano that had been getting dusty at the back of some of the 1000s of gift shops in Rhodes and Cos - lot of trash but I picked up a few pieces over the tourist stuff.

However, that is not why I am posting - in Rhodes old town I picked up two Maltese paperweights.

Medium size with spidery yellow trailing to centre and lots of bubbles creating a lovely matrix, all doused in blue opalescence. Nicely made but with some lovely dimples to surface and a slightly unevenly ground base.

I think they are Mdina but can  get a label check - what date was this label used

Thanks

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
Mdina or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 03:10:07 PM »
Hi there,
Yup, that's a Mdina piece for sure. It's a 'crizzle' paperweight, dating from the 1970s, probably the earlier part. You can read about how it is made in my new book ;-)
The number on the label on the base relates to either the model number OR the specific order number for the client, that client's order or country of destination. These labels were used from c1970 onwards, but tended to be applied to pieces from the 1970s. Or maybe all the examples from the 1980s (until the plastic labels were introduced in the 90s) were washed off....!
Hope this helps, it's a nice one!
Mark
(www.markhillpublishing.com)
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
Mdina or not?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 08:26:25 PM »
Thanks Mark

I never got back sooner as aol has decided to spam GMB notification (grrrr).

I have not bought your book yet but it is on order - along with fat lava.

I should show you some bits in the cafe forum - I have been collecting for years - the more encrusted the better, although I have some lovely smooth/lava combinations.

Thanks as ever

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand