No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tiny glass items - ??Murano??  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Tiny glass items - ??Murano??
« on: January 08, 2005, 01:25:21 PM »
Hello all, 

I am wondering if anyone can identify the following pics, which I think are items from Murano, although probably from many years ago. 

They are tiny pieces of glass, which I inherited from a great-aunt who was a great traveller.  They came in a cabinet full of 'tourist tat', some of it up to 100 years old! 

The striped 'vase' with handles has no base, it is hollow right through.  The other striped vase as you can see does have a base.  These two items are about 3 inches tall. 

The smaller items, the blue goblet and the clear glass goblet both with white twists in the stems are just 1.5 inches tall!   :shock:

The little blue goblet with green stem containing 'flowers' made of glass beads on wire stems is also about 1.5 inches tall.  The blue bowl of this glows under UV, but none of the rest of the glass does.     

http://tinypic.com/178kdh   http://tinypic.com/178kdy   http://tinypic.com/178kcm

Any info or comments would be most welcome   :)

Leni
Leni

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 10:36:38 PM »
I know someone who would murder for the crocus vase: Looks like Bimini to me - can anyone with the Neuwirth book look it up?
The other items seem to be toys or doll's house items and is hard to say where they were made - could be 1. Nailsea (England) or 2. Lauscha (Germany) or 3. Nevers (France).  And yes, they're old.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 04:59:58 PM »
Hi Leni,
I agree with Ivo that the stripey pieces look very, very, very like Bimini. I haven't got Neuwirth, but at the last Cambridge glass fair, the foyer exhibition was on Bimini and I spent a good while looking at it and studying the pieces. There was definitely a bit like your bottomless, handled vase. I've had a look at the website pictures of the past exhibitions, but the close-ups of bits are not these ones and the big pictures do not show small pieces. Still, I'll eat my hat if your stripey bits are not Bimini. (not a pleasant thought!).  Cheers, Sue
(www.cambridgeglassfair.com)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand