No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Huge Daum ppw  (Read 4793 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Huge Daum ppw
« on: September 16, 2006, 11:32:29 AM »
Hi all,

Could anyone please tell me why this paperweight has a polished base and yet still has a pontil? It is signed Daum, France.
Also, any idea how old it is please?

:shock: Click to enlarge :shock:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Huge Daum ppw
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 02:39:58 PM »
Err, I think you are getting confused about what a pontil is.

See this and other topics for broader discussion:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,945.0.html

In any event I see no pontil scar in your pictures?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Huge Daum ppw
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 03:01:18 PM »
Err, I do know what a pontil is, I just missed out the word 'mark.' (happens when kids are mithering, backspace, re-write, no time to re-read etc., apologies for my sloppiness )

Any how, if this is not a pontil mark/scar, then just what would you categorise it as, please?

:shock: Click to enlarge :shock:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Huge Daum ppw
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 03:27:16 PM »
Certainly looks like it, is it off centre?  I suppose they just polished as far as they could without cutting too much off. Did Daum make these themselves or out-source? Perhaps a second.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Huge Daum ppw
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 03:37:06 PM »
On photo 2 in the first post, the paperweight is sat on the polished base and the pontil mark is what you can see.
The weight is signed, but I just can't get my head round the sense of it all, or should I say lack of sense.  :?   :?
I presume, as you say, it is a second, but then why sign it?

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Huge Daum ppw
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 04:23:11 PM »
It's a puzzle for sure... Della, just so as I'm clear in my own head, are you saying the pontil mark is not on the polished base but somewhere on the side of the weight?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Huge Daum ppw
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 05:29:29 PM »
Hi Anne,  :D  :D

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Strange or what :?:  :!:

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Huge Daum ppw
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 06:10:57 PM »
Strange indeed Della. (That's probably what threw Frank as he probably looked at the base where we'd normally expect a pontil mark to be.)

Is there any possibility that the mark could be something else I wonder... thinking out loud here... some form of impact damage perhaps? I just can't imagine why a maker would have a pontil mark visible like that.   :?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Huge Daum ppw
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 06:23:53 PM »
It really doesn't look or feel like damage. It looks as though the maker was drunk and didn't pay attention to where he placed the bubbles. If the pontil mark had been groud and polished, it would have been impossible to display the weight.
I only have one other weight with a pontil mark and the diameter of the spot where it was actually snapped from the rod, is almost identical in size to that of this weight.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Huge Daum ppw
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 09:13:13 PM »
It is definitely a Daum weight. I remember selling these around 1977 seventies (when I was still at school? :D )  in the days when our family gallery, Coleridge of Highgate, was a Daum distributor. I think it could have been in the range from around 1975 but I'm not certain.

It was one of my favourite pws at the time, although terribly expensive, and therefore difficult to sell! I think (and my memory is not what it was) that it retailed for about £45 at the time, which is probably why it stayed on the shelf for a while.

The "gold" inclusion is mica.

It is difficult to see from the photo whether the pontil mark is on the polished base. If it is, it probably should have been ground out and then polished, but probably slipped through the very high quality control that Daum had. This is very unusual.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand