No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Who actually made this paperweight? Ysart? Murano? Another? ID = Paul Ysart  (Read 6611 times)

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
Depending on your point of view, this paperweight either went for a nice price on eBay or somebody got a bargain. It was billed as something it might not be. Was this actually made by the Scottish glassmaker mentioned, or is it something more special? My initial reaction was that it is a very rare Murano or a gorgeous Paul Ysart. The shape of the dome, the flat base, and the large chalky cog canes said Murano, but the elaborate design said Ysart. I don't think it's from whom the seller thought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320027266091

Code: [Select]
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-John-Deacons-Red-and-Blue-Millefiori-Star
-Ppwt_W0QQitemZ320027266091QQihZ011QQcategoryZ2744QQrdZ1Q
QcmdZViewItem

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Who actually made this paperweight? Ysart? Murano? Another?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 08:47:39 AM »
My first instincts was that this is one of the PY fakes but perhaps it is a genuine Ysart, some of the canes I recognise, others not. I do not the think it has occurred to the faker to fake unsigned PY weights yet. Certainly none of the usual fake signs.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
Scottish energy
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 11:18:02 AM »
It would be so great to be able to hold paperweights like this; to really examine them. Turns out the closing price was really good. When I posted my first comment there were 30 minutes to go, and the price was at around $150. Obviously, some other folks thought the weight to be very intriguing, including some familiar paperweight collecting and dealing names. I really have to get Bob Hall's Scottish paperweights book. The entire history of Scottish paperweights is becoming more and more fascinating to me. That small nation and all that incredible glass, and I'm not referring only to weights. I really wonder why Scotland ranks so high with prodution and beauty.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 11:38:48 AM »
It is the need to cheer up those long grey winters. 8)  But the Scots have always been get up and go types, very strong in engineering too.

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
bravo and brava
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 11:43:12 AM »
Well then, all hail the Scots. There are probably private collections of glass that are staggering. Any museums in Scotland with extensive collections of glass; paperweights, e.g.? I think it's time for a visit to Scotland.

By the way Frank, the Glass Paperweights forum is too wide for my computer screen. Do you know why? I have to use the slider to read comments. I mention this because all of the other forums are normal size and need no sliding.

Just checked again, and it's actually JUST THIS THREAD that's too wide for the screen and requires slide bar. Weird.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 12:04:51 PM »
It is those long eBay links, changed as above... quickest way to get short links is click on Bid History then click on Return to Description, your browser mow has a nice short URL  :)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 12:10:01 PM »
Unfortunately Scottish museums are not to hot on glass. Perth has a reasonable collection but mostly in reserve so make an appointment before going. Glasgow's Kelvingrove... again mostly in reserve. Ditto Edinburgh. No doubt the real gems are all buried away.  Up until 1990 Edinburgh museum did not even know glass was made outside of Glasgow and Edinburgh and had nothing from Perth, even in reserve. Perth only had a handful then but bought a fair amount from me and other sources in the 90's. Probably, the best collection will be found at Kelvingrove in Glasgow.

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
time for a change
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 12:41:01 PM »
Thanks for the tech explanation Frank. Makes sense and now the window is perfect.

Regarding glass exhibits in Scotland, it might be time for Scottish glassmakers to rebel or start their own museum. Call their leader Glassheart.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 01:07:16 PM »
Unfortunately they need to turn over new pieces all the time in order to keep the kilns burning. That Scottish glass is heading towards being a museum subject in a land of glass ignorant museums is merely unfortunate.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 12:27:11 PM »
I have been off-line for a few days so have not have seen this until now.

I believe the the weight is a genuine Paul Ysart, but is, unusually, a little "wobbly" in parts of the pattern. Also, from the side view image, it appears that the dome has some wreathing - which is also unusual, particularly if the weight is from the Caithness years.

That may be why certain bidders kept their max bids low.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand