No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: David Hurry - ViDa Glass Paperweights  (Read 5672 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
David Hurry - ViDa Glass Paperweights
« on: September 17, 2006, 10:24:38 AM »
Yesterday at the Paperweight Collectors Circle meeting, David Hurry came to talk to us about his memories of his time working with Paul Ysart, and also to tell us about his latest venture (with his new wife - he said they were over here on honeymoon!) ViDa Glass.  

David identified several Ysart weights in which the lampwork had been made by him, and read out some personal letters written to him by Paul Ysart.  He also passed around a superb Job Reference which Paul had written for him when he left Ysart's employment, shortly before Ysart himself retired!

David also showed us a fantastic selection of the paperweights he is now making, which were for sale to members present and which it was also possible to order!    

I purchased this beauty,  
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/normal_David_Hurry_Crown_Bouqet_1_of_25.jpg
and also asked David to make me a Butterfly crown.  I'll post a pic of that when it arrives      :D
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 09:03:55 AM »
Just over one month from commissioning it, I have received the beautiful 'Butterfly Crown' weight from David Hurry!     http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/David_Hurry_Crown_Butterfly_1_of_25.jpg

I particularly asked David to make the butterfly in 'cranberry', and for this particular style of latticinio twists and ribbons, so this weight is also number 1 of 25.

I'm very pleased with it!  :D
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Connie

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 09:12:37 AM »
Leni -

I don't know how I missed this the first time you posted.  Both paperweights are beautiful!  But I absolutely love the first one.  It looks like a delicate bouquet of flowers on a lace doily.  :)

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 10:52:58 AM »
Thank you, Connie   :D  

I should add that David has his own website at  www.vidaglass.no  although it doesn't show any paperweights, which apparently he hasn't been doing for as long as his other glass work.

I wish him and his wife Vibece (the name ViDa is a combination of their names) every success with this venture!   :D
Leni

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 10:55:54 AM »
David should of made the conference weights
cheers Ray

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 04:45:20 PM »
Hi Leni

I managed to pick up a David Hurry weight at the Woking Glass fair - same idea as your bouquet but simpler

http://i13.tinypic.com/3yozodc.jpg

Davids work is stunning !

I looked at several of his weights at the fair and they all showed a breaking of a few millefiori strands where they are folded to go down the side of the set up - can anyone suggest a reason for this?

Best regards

Derek

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 04:56:35 PM »
Hi Derek!  My first weight also has a tiny break in the latticinio strands in one place.  I pointed this out to David when I bought it, and asked why this was, and he replied, "Because they're really, really difficult to do!"   :lol:  :roll:
Leni

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 09:09:32 PM »
Hi Leni - that was a bt of a non answer from David !!! I have e-mailed him seeking the technical explanation - will post reply on the board.

Best regards

Derek

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 09:49:34 AM »
Quote from: "Derek"
that was a bt of a non answer from David !!!

:lol: True, Derek!   :wink:  

Personally, I'd think it might be something to do with having to bend the rod into quite a tight curve around the central button of glass in a paperweight, which would obviously stretch one side of the cane more than the other    :?

But what do I know? :roll:  I'll be very interested to see the technical explanation when you get an answer from David!    :D
Leni

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 04:07:06 PM »
I'm glad this thread came around again too! :D  The paperweights shared are lovely and I really appreciate seeing them.  Hopefully, one day, a David Hurry weight will be in my modest collection too.  Til then, everyone, please keep sharing.  :)

All the best .... Lily

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand