No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: David Hurry - ViDa Glass Paperweights  (Read 5671 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
David Hurry - ViDa Glass Paperweights
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 05:18:24 PM »
Quote from: "Lily of the Valley"
Hopefully, one day, a David Hurry weight will be in my modest collection too.

Contact David!  They're not expensive   :D
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 10:42:31 AM »
Hi Lily

Just to echo what Leni said - they are currently retailing in the UK from around £85 - £120 sterling. Several UK dealers are currently stocking them. Treat yourself for Christmas !

Regards

Derek

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 04:22:01 PM »
Leni & Derek ....  Thanks for your suggestion and encouragement!  I have to admit, I really am not sure where to begin or exactly what to ask for. :oops:  Do I contact David himself or are there places you know of that offer his weights online (so I can see pixs)?  All three of the ones on this thread are lovely.

I have to admit, I live in a pretty paperweight-void area.  There are/have been a few here and there, but mostly I have to go elsewhere or wait for faires to come to my area.  Ebay provides me with the greatest opportunity to see what's out there and, occasionally, make a really nice purchase (quality weight & good price).:D

Well, enough said.  One of these days I hope to post my own David Hurry weight for all to see. :D

Thanks again ..... Lily

(That song keeps echoing ... "Christmas is a-coming and the .......") :lol:

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 04:37:13 PM »
Hi Lily

The two sites I spotted with weights are Bob Hall PWs at http://www.bobhallpaperweights.co.uk/ and Justglass at http://www.justglass.co.uk/. I stress that I have no connection with either !

I am sure there will be others.

Regards

Derek

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 05:26:22 PM »
Both Bob and Brian are friends of mine, but I'm sure they won't mind me saying this. (Well, I hope they won't!  :oops: ) If you want to skip the 'middle man' and the extra they add for themselves, why not contact David via his website and get a weight direct from him?
Leni

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 06:34:07 PM »
Thank you again, Derek and Leni!  I have checked out both websites and sent an inquiry to David.  I will let you know if anything works out.

The paperweights on my wish-list and my pocketbook are less and less in agreement these days, so there are longer dry spells between purchases now.:(

That tune just keeps running through my head .... Lily   :lol:

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 08:29:41 PM »
Hi Lily and Leni

David Hurry has just phoned me from Norway so I hope that you can source a weight direct from him Lily - he is a really nice guy !

David phoned to try and answer the query I had on the breaks in some of the white latticino threads where the latticino rod is bent sharply.

He talked me though the making process - the latticino is picked up on the gather and then put back in the glory hole this makes the latticino rods start to sag. The weight is then brought back to the chair where the latticino rods are folded onto the gather using the Jacks (Prucillias). the weight is then reheated prior to picking up the central motif. The dome of the weight is then gathered and the weight finished in the normal way.

David is aware of the problem but not certain of the cause - most likely appears to be just one weak white thread in some of the latticino cane also white is a notoriously difficult colour to work.  David thinks that a  combination of these two factors  may be the cause.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Derek

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand