No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1947 Exhibition pics  (Read 3661 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
1947 Exhibition pics
« on: January 10, 2005, 12:05:20 AM »
New page LINK

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
1947 Exhibition pics
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 02:45:22 AM »
Thanks for including those Frank. Each of the Inkwells and Paperweight are interesting and I believe all three were by Paul Ysart. The following comments may be of general interest to readers.

The Inkwell to the left is of a less common form, being more flattened in both the stopper and base than is usually seen (at least by me!). Its stopper confirms an item that I have seen, which looks like a flattened paperweight (2.5 inch diameter) but listed by the owner as "probably a reduced bottle stopper". The form and spaced layout of the canes in the "reduced" one and that of the exhibition example show enough of a match to confirm this.

As for the "shaped / applied pedestal", I think it is very likely "shaped" and probably has a Monart-style pontil. I have a 3.5 inch diameter weight which shows a similar low pedestal foot and is script signed "P. Ysart". The weight can be seen at http://www.btinternet.com/~kevh.glass/pages/paul-ysart/signed/Detail011.htm. And the foot detail is shown at the bottom of http://www.btinternet.com/~kevh.glass/pages/paul-ysart/signed/base.htm (row 2, column 1 in the final table)

The second Inkwell has a more regular Paul Ysart shape but is unusual in two respects. The base seems to have a loose group of different canes in the centre, which is something I have not seen before in Paul Ysart's work. There are many known examples of "central clusters of canes" but packed together rather than loosely set. The second unusual feature is that the stopper and neck contain a mix of cane pieces and twists. This is known in a few other Paul Ysart Inkwells and shows that Paul did not always leave the "well section" clear.

As for the paperweight, I imagine that it is of "super magnum" size. The pattern is the same as "PY1005" in the Paul Ysart Catalogue in the ysartglass pages, which as we know is a massive 5 inch piece. There is a 4 5/8 inch example in Perth Museum of the same design. Both have a "py"cane included at the side of one arm of the star. Looking at a 400% enlargement of the Exhibition images, I am fairly sure that the weight also has a "py" cane at the upper inner edge of the arm at the "just-past-2o'clock" position. So this may well be only the third signed super magnum Star weight I am aware of.
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
1947 Exhibition pics
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 02:42:53 PM »
Links refreshed.

Also added a picture from c1930 of the area of the Moncrieff bottleworks.
http://www.ysartglass.com/Photo/Perthcity2.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand