No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Black Glass Bottle Vase type .... possible a Dartington Inkwell Vase?  (Read 5387 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Now this vase has got me stumped - it's a black glass bottle vase (lots of base wear) and it looks in shape very much like the Kim Thrower (son of Frank) bottle vases for Dartington in the late 1970's.  It also resembles something in a book of mine which suggests Kastrup - I've not got a clue however - does anyone else on here have any ideas?  Did Dartington or Kastrup ever produce black glass?  Any help would be gratefully received - photo below :-)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/blackbottle0001.jpg

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Black Glass Bottle Vase type ....
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 11:43:25 PM »
Kastrup didn't, as far as I know - but then their range of production was vast!

But it certainly does have a Scandi / Scandi-inspired look about it.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 05:48:17 PM »
cheers for your reply Nic - think I'm going to have a job IDing this one.

Sklounion

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 07:33:33 PM »
Pip,
Leave it with me, tho no answers over-night....
Reminds me of stuff by Jan Gabhrel for Cesky Kristal and Bohemia  Glassworks, Podebrady, both of whom are known to have produced items in this style.
regards,
Marcus

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 07:59:38 PM »
Quote from: "Le Casson"
Pip,
Leave it with me, tho no answers over-night....
Reminds me of stuff by Jan Gabhrel for Cesky Kristal and Bohemia  Glassworks, Podebrady, both of whom are known to have produced items in this style.
regards,
Marcus

:D Cheers mucho for your help Marcus, I'll be patience personified.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Black Glass Bottle Vase type ....
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 01:23:23 PM »
OK an update on this vase - having fairly recently acquired a Dartington amber 'Candy Vase' (with sticker) I was able to compare this black vase with the 'Candy Vase' - the base finishes are identical as are the lip dimensions and general finish, plus the size of this vase is exactly what it should be if it were a Dartington 'Inkwell' vase.  Now having re-read Mark Hill's book (page 55 of 'Frank Thrower & Dartington Glass') which states that Frank Thrower was the designer (Kim designed the box - I got my facts wrong in my initial posting) it says that these vases (made in 1978-79) were reputedly outsourced to Wood Brothers in Barnsley because Dartington were unable to produce them in the colours they wanted.

I am fairly certain now that this is indeed a Dartington 'Inkwell' vase from the same range as the Volterra and Candy Vases but it's a very unusual colour for Dartington (black - purpley when looked though a light source) .  We know that these were made in amber, sage green and grey glass - and now, perhaps, purpley black - can anyone shed any light on this?

If possible, please could a moderator alter the heading of this thread to include 'Dartington Inkwell Vase' in the title?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Black Glass Bottle Vase type .... possible a Dartington Inkwell Vase?
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 04:13:29 PM »
Can we have a picture of the Candy vase for comparison please

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 10:42:23 PM »
ah - easier said than done Christine - it's currently packed away in a crate in readiness for the MCM show in Dulwich next week.  If you don't mind I'll take a photo of it at the show and post it up here when I return?  Cheers.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 01:16:08 PM »
Thank you Pip. I have looked and seen in Mark's book but thought it might be useful here for others

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 08:53:16 AM »
Another update: at the MCM show yesterday a fellow dealer had a Volterra vase in the same black glass as my Inkwell vase - he had his identified as a 'rare Dartington' and I saw Nigel Benson deep in conversation with him about it.  I'm 100% certain now that mine is Dartington Inkwell in black but I'm hoping that Nigel will take a peek at this thread since I didn't take mine to the show yesterday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand