No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Harrods glass Cocktail mats harlequin colours - Chance Glass  (Read 4073 times)

Offline Pinky

• Members
Harrods glass Cocktail mats harlequin colours - Chance Glass
« on: September 18, 2006, 11:59:27 PM »
Dear All - wondering whether you can help - found a set of glass cocktail mats (harlequin colours) in a dull gold box with cellophane lid marked Harrods. I wondered whether these may have been made by Chance during the 50s. Would be very grateful for any help. Best Pinky. link below then just scroll down for images once you've hit the link.
 http://whitefriarsorg.org/mf/index.php?showtopic=417&st=0&

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
unique
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 01:01:58 AM »
I've never seen anything like this before. Very unique and colorful.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 08:18:48 AM »
I would say probably not, however there are a few questions:

1. Is the colour printed on the back
2. Can you supply a photo of the box
3. What is the size of each dish

An angled photo might also help, to show the profile better.

From what I can see, the box looks like it has a random design. Of course, it's quite possible they were exclusively repackaged for Harrods, but it is hard to say.

My best guess is that they were made by Webb Crystal Glass Co. who were based in London during the 1950s and produced slumped ware.

Very nice set though :P
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Pinky

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 11:25:27 AM »
........thank you - I shall go back and take new pictures - close-ups, angles, profiles etc and submit them this evening. Pinky

Offline Pinky

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 01:59:44 PM »
......I've replaced the earlier pictures with others showing the mats at angles etc (hit the link and scroll down as before). I can't find colour numbers on any of the mats, Dencill - if there are any they might be under the green felt backing on the bases. The mats are 3 inch square, the box 3.25 inches square. The box is thick card covered in dull gold thin paper - the way you'd cover your books at school. There is no pattern on the paper - just the dull gold colour that matches the 'Harrods' lettering on the cellophane lid. The cellophane is a stiffened variety and has yellowed with age. It slots neatly over the top of the box. That's about as much as I can say for now. Best Pinky

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 03:12:20 PM »
I see how they're made now: I initially got the impression they might have been slightly slumped.

I'm pretty sure they're not Chance, but they may be British made. Frank might have some ideas on other makes though.

Very nice looking pieces though! :P
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Pinky

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 08:39:36 PM »
Hallo there - thank you very much indeed for your efforts and appreciation. I'd not got a clue and I'm very grateful. Can't use the mats because I don't drink and don't know how to mix cocktails::)) The best part about them for me is the different shaped glasses for each cocktail that are pictured on the faces. Best Pinky

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 07:47:06 PM »
Probably made to order for Harrod's who would also of sourced the boxes themselves. Best approach is to get in touch with Harrod's themselves.

Offline Pinky

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 11:29:03 PM »
.......thank you very much, Frank - I will take your advice and do this. Funnily enough these mats will be the third singular type of glass item I've found over the months needing further investigation. 2 champagne flutes with the 'Goodwood' racecourse emblem marked on the front of each and, unbelievably, Tiffany & co etched into the bases (it leads me to wonder - are these from the Richmond Enclosure, the equivalent of the Royal Enclosure at Ascot). So I've to ring Goodwood to ask about them. Then there's a Liberty 'Georgette' bath salts bottle I found in someones rubbish bin I walked pass a while ago - stunningly etched all over in foliage - perhaps by an automated method but beautiful nonetheless. So I've to contact Libertys too. If I find out anything I will notify. Best Pinky

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
wow
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 01:53:18 AM »
The new photos make these items even more spectacular. I love the richness of the purple/burgundy-colored one. They are so incredibly Deco. Where did you find them? I've never seen anything like them in the States.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand