No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green bottle/vase design no. 910569  (Read 9365 times)

Offline glassaddict

• Members
Re: Green bottle/vase design no. 910569
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 08:54:02 PM »
haha no lamp - my friend saw it and wanted it, so it  is sitting in her conservatory now :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 07:05:33 PM »
not so sure this helps with a maker - I'm not well up on soft drinks companies - am assuming these people were into soft drink and not hard liquor          ...........   R. N. Coate may have made this bottle, but unlikely in my opinion.
Two pix attached, and obviously a popular and successful design since there were two extensions, each of five years - am sure I've seen this shape somewhere in the past.
If any part of the Register text is illegible, let me know ........    I have other pix of that page which I can magnify.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 09:39:48 PM »
So, not a Bulmer's Cider bottle, but a cider bottle nonetheless. I remember Coate's cider being sold in just such a bottle from the early- to mid-1960s and for quite a long time afterwards.

There was a well-remembered jingle to their TV adverts which was portrayed catroon yokels singing"'Coate's comes up from Zummerset, where the zider apples grow". 

Coate's cider factory in Nailsea was first opened in 1788 and was bought by Showerings of Shepton Mallet in 1956. The brand was subsequently merged with Gaymers and absorbed by Matthew Clark Brands. See: https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/2129935491

I'm not sure who manufactured the bottle but there was, of course, a long history of glass making in the area.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 08:49:40 PM »
just struck me as a coincidence that the mention of the year that Coate's opened his cider factory in Nailsea of 1788, was also the date that John Robert Lucas opened his bottle and window glass making, two furnace glassworks, in the same town.   He'd already had experience of glass making in Bristol apparently.
He'd be shot today, building as he did on a green field site, but we'd not now worry about his poaching staff from an established glasshouse in Bristol, but which at the time cost him an appearance in court.    Obviously back then they viewed enticement of journeymen and workers as a major sin.
His Nailsea works was very successful, enabling him to die a very rich man, and it seems that by 1835 his glassworks was the fourth largest in the country (don't think they meant county), and his gamble of sticking to utility wares such as window glass and bottles was a very wise decision.
But all good things come to an end, and his Nailsea furnaces eventually became cold in 1874, due to consolidation of the industry in areas of better materials plus the failure of his locally sourced coal.                     The site is now a Tesco store.
It's tempting to think that John Robert Lucas may well have supped on occasions from a glass of Coate's cider. :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 11:16:43 PM »
Paul, thank you for checking the archives again, and also to Fred for remembering Coates' cider... armed with that info, look what I found: a Coates' advert showing this very bottle shape!   
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/13582184803/in/photolist-67mAqb-4fqLxH-4fdtBH-mGdfm4 :)

I think we can pin this one as well and truly identified, even if we don't know who made the actual bottle.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline billben

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Victorian/Edwardian
    • England
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 10:33:15 AM »
I have one too and can confirm they were made for Bulmers Cider

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 01:46:19 AM »
Definitely Coate's not Bulmer's.  I've just been reading more about Coate's, and this paragraph is relevant to the green bottle under discussion, which was called a Quartet: (my emphasis in the quote)

In 1961 Coate’s introduced the half-gallon pitcher which was a radical departure from the traditional flagon bottle. Success was immediate with sales in excess of 1,000,000 within a year. Two years later the ‘Quartet’ was added to the range, an emerald green bottle of distinctive bulbous body and long tapering neck. This contained ‘Triple Vintage’ a strong cider first produced in 1951 along with ‘Festival Vat’ to celebrate the Festival of Britain.

Here is one shown with its original label still in place: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/259166346/vintage-green-bottle-lamp-coates-triple
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand