No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: St. Clair glass bookends  (Read 3350 times)

Offline justme

• Members
St. Clair glass bookends
« on: January 23, 2005, 10:30:57 PM »
Can someone tell me the story behind my very tall St. Clair glass bookends?  They are about 8" tall with yellow flowers inside. They have been in the family for generations. I also have a paperweight which appears to have been an experimental piece. She said the artist referred to it as "a mistake". It has a blue foam like substance and some red color inside along with bubbles.  Any info would be appreciated.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
St. Clair glass bookends
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 12:13:07 AM »
Hi,

Can't help with the bookends, but there is summary info on St Clair glassworks on the Glass Encyclopedia page at: http://www.glassencyclopedia.com/StClairglass.html

The paperweights of the St Clair family follow a long tradition of American designs incorporating swirls and bubbles. Most are marked to the base with an impressed logo giving the name of the particular company / maker such as "Joe St Clair, "Maude & Bob St Clair".

If your weight has no impressed logo then that may tie in with it being a "seconds" piece (or "mistake" as suggested). Even if there is a logo, it could still be a standard production piece that went wrong and for some reason was passed to your family instead of being rejected.

A search in eBay lists will usually show a few typical St Clair weights and these are also often listed in various American paperweight dealer sites.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand