No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Strange Art Deco Pressed Glass , bird and leaves, coloured  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Gill

• Members
Strange Art Deco Pressed Glass , bird and leaves, coloured
« on: September 21, 2006, 01:52:33 PM »
Had to show you this one, pressed glass but colour applied afterwards, couldn't make out at first if someone had a go with the old glass painting kit but on closer inspection I think it's original. The old lady in the charity shop assured me that she'd scrubbed it with BOILING WATER AND TOILER CLEANER!,  I don't know why either........... anyway, luckily it's survived this treatmen.  Any ideas, much appreciation as usual, Gill.
I expect it's Chinese!

URL: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3359

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
ouch
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 02:02:53 PM »
BOILING WATER??? You should have a talk with that person. She should never put decorative glass pieces anywhere near boiling water. I wonder what things she's ruined.

Anyway, it's a lovely bowl. Has a nifty Art Deco look; sort of a copy of a Lalique.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Gill

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 06:17:27 PM »
Hi, thanks for your response, yes , it is a bit scary isn't it. Actually I usually have quite a tussle in these shops trying to wrap things myself.  Great that there are people to volunteer to work in these shops but they do seem to enjoy banging glass on the counter and shaking them up together in bags, still, all part of the fun eh?

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 06:38:21 PM »
Hi Gill

I had one with exactly the same paintjob.  However, I had no luck identifying it (it was before I knew about this board), the paint had run and streaked, and I gave it to my cousin who was helping to run her local Freecycle group who were having a party in the park.

It was last seen in Bolton.  Don't suppose you're up in the North West, are you??  

Cheers,
Chris

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 08:53:03 PM »
I should very much appreciate more photos of this unusual beauty!
The shape seems to tell a lot... base? top view?  :wink:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Gill

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 09:26:44 PM »
Cheers Pamela, I thought this one might interest you, I'll take some more pics over the weekend, Gill

Offline Gill

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 10:11:04 AM »
Here's some more pics as promised, there is some damage to the colour on mine again, probably caused by the boiling water and toilet cleaner, but not much.

URL: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3388 URL: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3387
URL: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3386

Offline Gill

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 10:18:11 AM »
I see there's one of these on ebay now, not mine, should make interesting viewing, listed as 1930s  ART DECO PRESSED GLASS BOWL W.POLYCHROME BIRDS.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand