No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery Ashtray/Lighter set  (Read 2896 times)

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
Mystery Ashtray/Lighter set
« on: September 21, 2006, 07:01:27 PM »
Hi again...
I have an ashtray and lighter set. There are no markings that I can find. Any ideas that might point me in the right direction for further research would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bidda

~edited to remove inquiry about v.nason set as I've gone through some old threads and see that it's quite redundant :) I don't wish to wear out my welcome by not doing my own homework.

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 07:29:13 PM »
hi again... i came across this auction on ebay that features the same lighter i've got and am trying to attribute.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320036792666&fromMakeTrack=true
this listing says "salviati or cenedese" and i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on that. also, i think the bowl/ashtray i've got with mine is a better match than the one in the listing. do you agree? it would be so nice to have some confirmation on these pieces. any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
bidda

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 07:52:15 PM »
I've had the lighter with Salviati labels. I've also had a similar lighter in vaseline with a more current Livio Seguso label, so it's safe to say that more than one company did this design.  I'd bet that this set is c. 1960s Salviati.

Laura

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 08:29:22 PM »
Bidda, my apologies, I'm not about to offer any useful info here.  I just wanted to say how much I like your set - I think it's gorgeous and secondly I wanted to ask how on earth the seller in the eBay link can say that the lighter has never been fired - that is unless they've never let it out of their sight over the past 40 years  :roll:

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 08:57:10 PM »
Flint invariably damages the metal surfaces it would be almost impossible to return a lighter to unused appearance. But they should include photos to prove the assertion.

Presumably non-smokers insist on unused lighters. 8)

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 09:34:55 PM »
thanks so much, Laura, that's very helpful :) i usually end up buying the barbini lighters (i just seem to be most attracted to his stuff)  so, it's nice to have something different.

Pip and Frank, it's also very easy to replace old lighter inserts with new ones so, that's one way to know the lighter itself has never been lit (to say nothing of the glass holder)... i've found, anyway, that most people who collect tobacciana (is that a real word or just an ebayism?) don't care about the working order of collectible lighters (unless it's not an insert at all and, rather part of the lighter or the insert is somehow otherwise bonded to the unit). new lighter inserts are cheap and pretty uniform as far as size.

thanks to everyone for responding :D :D :D

p.s. i'm pretty sure i've seen some basic bud vases with lighter inserts shoved into their tops and being sold as glass lighters... funny, eh? ;)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 09:51:01 PM »
OK so if the lighter insert is a new replacement shouldn't that be stated rather than just saying 'it's unused'?  Because certainly as far as collectables are concerned any new elements (seals etc) must be stated as new and my buyers would definitely pick up on replacement elements, however trivial. I also would consider the original elements to be more desirable than a modern replacement so if I were buying the eBay lighter I'd certainly prefer the original lighter (even if knackered) than a modern replacement (if that's what it is of course).

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 02:35:26 AM »
i agree, Pip and i always make note of any damage, repairs or replacements but i don't expect everyone else to so i usually ASK a lot of questions before bidding on anything. if the seller doesn't answer i almost never bid.

bidda

Quote from: "Pip"
OK so if the lighter insert is a new replacement shouldn't that be stated rather than just saying 'it's unused'?  Because certainly as far as collectables are concerned any new elements (seals etc) must be stated as new and my buyers would definitely pick up on replacement elements, however trivial. I also would consider the original elements to be more desirable than a modern replacement so if I were buying the eBay lighter I'd certainly prefer the original lighter (even if knackered) than a modern replacement (if that's what it is of course).

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 08:47:49 PM »
Hi Bidda,
Im having a little trouble with these.
To my knowledge, Salviati pieces are usually 1 piece, with a core the same color as the top part of the lighter, or at least a fade in the Sommerso color from the inside. This one looks like its made in 2 different pieces.
Also the ashtray reminds me of Sasaki pressed bowls. I've had some Sasaki bowls before, smaller (i think, not sure what the measurements are on yours), with the same pressed design.
Does it have any markings underneath?
Can you give us measurements?
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 11:25:32 PM »
Javier,

the lighter is about 9.25" or 23.5cm tall. upon closer scrutiny it does look possible that it was made in two pieces; not absolutely sure but it's possible. when i bought it i was told that it was "murano" but not attributed to any particular maker.
the ashtray is about 5.5" or 14cm diameter and 2.5" or 6.5cm tall. there are no mold marks but the bottom is concave and very smooth so it's entirely possible that it is pressed. the ashtray was given no attribution when i bought it.
i didn't buy the pieces together but the colors seem to match so well that i've always displayed them as a set. i'll look into Sasaki and see if i can find any other pieces that are very similar.

i really appreciate your input and any help you can provide in properly identifying these pieces.

thanks so much,

bidda

Quote from: "svazzo"
Hi Bidda,
Im having a little trouble with these.
To my knowledge, Salviati pieces are usually 1 piece, with a core the same color as the top part of the lighter, or at least a fade in the Sommerso color from the inside. This one looks like its made in 2 different pieces.
Also the ashtray reminds me of Sasaki pressed bowls. I've had some Sasaki bowls before, smaller (i think, not sure what the measurements are on yours), with the same pressed design.
Does it have any markings underneath?
Can you give us measurements?
Javier

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand