No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Where are the Monart miniatures?  (Read 26894 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Where are the Monart miniatures?
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 02:07:17 PM »
Quote from: "nigel benson"
I cannot believe that Monart is the exception in the antique world where anything but the smallest item made by a company might be considered as miniature. How is it possible to allow three size increments ALL to be miniature?

Vasart made a range for the postwar gift trade which in some way parallels the Goss ranges. I to might not classify them as miniature but yet again I always had my sub "In the region of 100mm or thereabouts" pieces, displayed en-masse regardless of Mon/Vas/Str origins. The only problem being that a massed collection of the the Vas's would tend to dominate.

Shape O is a good point so added to the list.

Getting into cafe mode....

We aren't talking about the antique world just that rarified world of Monart :lol:  As to three sizes of miniature... we could decide to call them
Dad miniature, Mum miniature and Babe Miniature. Why not? Or Gary, Keith and Nigel for that matter. Of course if you get into doll's house glassware, how big would a miniature be then? But then as far as I know they never produced a doll's house range.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2006, 02:16:00 PM »
Of course I then had to add in the 2 smallest Y's. For fairness.

If your customers are ignoring them Nigel, perhaps you are not marketting them right! As we can now see several people do get excited by these small pieces and of course small is never a good description. So put in the centre front of display with a small card reading "Miniature" - treble the ticket price and send me a 30% commission please. :D

Or did Keith and Mary just clean you out  8)

Offline MHJ02

• Members
Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2006, 08:37:15 PM »
What a fascinating subject miniatures has become.   And no, Frank, I haven't cleaned Nigel B out yet - but I'm thinking about it  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Must admit my interpretation of miniature is around 3".   As for bowls, as I think I previously mentioned, I have a GE at just under 3.25", so presume this qualifies it as a miniature, or does it?

The RG at 104 mm doesn't look like a miniature and I'm quite happy to call it a small vase.    

Monart Glass isn't an exact science where sizes are concerned and I believe the majority of collectors will be happy just to have a few small ones in their collection, be it 3", 3.5" or 4.0"  - I know I am, but there's not that many around to collect.   So Keith if you fancy selling me yours at a reasonable price - well then :wink: !!!

Regards
Mary

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006, 11:16:02 PM »
OK Mary, GE added. I can see we have quite a few more sizes to be added to the catalogue pages again! Great result.

Anyone else got some?

Almost all of mine went to Parkington as a single lot, I think.

Offline Gary

• Members
Re: Where are the Monart miniatures?
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 07:27:34 PM »
This is my collection of Monart miniatures and small pieces.
1/ O shape 10cm wide. 2/ BJ shape 6.5cm tall. 3/ Y shape 9.5cm wide. 4/ A shape 7cm tall. 5/ GE shape 8cm wide. 6/ Y shape 10cm wide.
7/ QJ shape 6.5cm tall. 8/ GE shape 11.5cm wide. 9/ BJ shape 6.5cm tall. 10/ SA shape 7.5cm tall. 11/ KI shape 9cm tall.
12/ GG shape 9.5cm tall. 13/ MB shape 10.5cm wide. 13/ TB shape 8cm tall.
Gary

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 08:11:04 PM »
do the mini ones still have the raised pontil mark as there big brothers?
cheers Ray

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 08:41:55 PM »
The GE, BJ and the Y shapes have a raised pontil, the SA, A, and the KI are polished flat the O, GG, TB and MB have applied feet with the pontil mark polished concave, the QJ has an applied foot polished flat.
Gary

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 09:52:07 PM »
Hi Gary, nice collection of mini pieces , though number 12 you have as shape GG doesnt quite do it for me, foot colour and shape and too much clear glass above applied foot ect seems wrong to me for a piece of Monart, i do however remember visiting a house in Perth area some years back owned by a so called dealer who had some other pieces with similar applied feet in same colours including so called genuine mushroom lamps with same feet and same colourway, when i mentioned that the lamps and fittings and feet didnt add up i was assured that they were apprentice pieces of Monart hahahahaha, needless to say i left empty handed but sporting a grin that would make the cheshire cat of Alice In Wonderland toothless
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 10:47:35 PM »
I agree with Gary on 12 Gary. But oozing at 11  :sc: a VERY nice set.

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 01:40:15 PM »
I bought (on a absentee bid) the candlestick holder (no.12) along with a ZA shaped bowl and two pieces of Vasart in one lot from Bonham's over a year ago.
In the catalogue it is listed as Monart, when it arrived I had some doubts about it's authenticity, due to the thickness of the glass and the black applied foot, though it does have a full Monart Glass label reading X+ GG 156. Though the label does look a bit clean and fresh for being over 70 years old.
The KI powder bowl (no.11) was purchased from a vendor in New York State for what I thought a fair price of £144.
Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand