No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Who made this? - ID = Whitefriars  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Ming

• Members
Who made this? - ID = Whitefriars
« on: September 22, 2006, 04:28:15 PM »
l have a 10" high taper greenish blue glass vase. The mouth of the vase is sloped. First l thought this look like a whitefriars. But not so after checked  the catalogue.
The lower part of the vase has three random bumps. The top part has three long dents with the pushed out glass to form bumps at the side.

Any idea who did it?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/courtoak/Glass1031.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/courtoak/Glass1030.jpg

Ming
Never walk away from a bargain

Offline whitefriars 007

• Members
Not whitefriars , So who made this?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 04:55:12 PM »
Hello Ming

Your vase looks like an Emerald green/Meadow green Whitefriars knobbly lampbase designed by William Wilson and Harry Dyer pat no 9612 I'm sure Patrick or Emmi can confirm.Hope this helps.

http://www.whitefriars.com/catalogues/contents.php?pageNum_catalogue=3&totalRows_catalogue=189&id=1932

Regards
Trudy

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 05:25:19 PM »
Hi, Trudy you are 100% correct..........
Are you going to Cambridge?
 If you have already said you are going please excuse my question..................Regards Patrick.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 05:49:54 PM »
Yes definitely 9612 but the colour is "green cased in clear".  Meadow Green is a later colour and Emerald was not a catalogued name for a W/F green  for this period (c.1964) although I agree it looks like emerald.  Emmi

Offline whitefriars 007

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 06:44:36 PM »
Hi Patrick

Unfortunately I can't make the Cambridge fair this time but do hope to make it one year.  Hope you all have a great time and track down the bargains - shall look forward to reading the threads to see how it went.  Many thanks Emmi for your help in identifying the colour.

Here is a link to J T Coll's Whitefriars Glass Gallery showing his knobbly range of vases, great site hope you all enjoy.

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/colljt/myhomepage/artgallery.html

Regards

Trudy

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 07:48:17 PM »
Quote from: "whitefriars 007"
... knobbly range of vases ...

Trudy — that's interesting.   I've never been convinced that these 9612s were lamp bases, despite the caption on plate 154 of Jackson.    If they were made as lamp bases, they would have had a level rim, or even a cut rim.   They're also not very stable as lamps.

About three years ago I had a much larger and chunkier piece of knobbly through my hands, and this was definitely a lamp base.    It had a heavy triangular base, similar to Angus Sillar's early 1970s Strathearn lamp bases.   It sold very quickly!

I can understand the difficulty with the 9612s.   Any narrow necked vase could be converted to a table lamp, and if you see enough of them you start getting the impression that this is what they were made for.

I remain unconvinced, and until someone finds a Whitefriars source that describes them as lamp bases will continue to call the 9612 a vase.

Bernard C.  8)

... and I resisted the almost overwhelming temptation to use a Bensonism!  :lol:
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline whitefriars 007

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 11:21:42 PM »
Thanks for your reply Bernard, I'm in agreement with you that the 9612s should be classed as vases but they seem to be referred to as lampbases as you mentioned previously in the Lesley Jackson Whitefriars glass book and also on the Whitefriars site listed on the catalogue pages.  May be one of the Whitefriars experts could clarify what they were actually made as?

Regards

Trudy (always learning)

Offline Ming

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 01:56:21 AM »
Thanks . Everyone for the information. Now l know it is a Whitefriars.
It is a very good looking vase(or lamp holder). I suppose the best thing was l only paid £3 for it.

Thanks! Again.

Ming
Never walk away from a bargain

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 06:39:20 AM »
Hi again,

Here is a link to page 3 of J T Coll's excellent knobbly gallery.    At the top you will see three big chunky knobbly lamp bases, just like the example I had rather briefly.

The most likely explanation for Lesley Jackson's caption is that she knew that WF had made knobbly lampbases, and the only possible knobbly shape she had seen or seen in the WF documentation was the 9612.   Quite reasonable to marry the two, and I suspect most of us would have done the same in similar circumstances.

Later pages in this website cover a whole variety of similar products from other glass houses, many of which need attribution.   I am sure that the proprietor of this comprehensive reference would welcome help in this respect.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand