No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Some Czech pieces, Whitefriars, Davidson & Altaglass(?)  (Read 5122 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Some Czech pieces, Whitefriars, Davidson & Altaglass(?)
« on: September 24, 2006, 02:07:43 PM »
This is my very last haul from Chelford carboot this morning, before relocating next week.  Just had to have one last fix :P

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/mixed020.jpg

Left to right:

#1. Aquarium paperweight.  Hopefully Murano, but most probably Chinese.  Weights over 1kg.  The fish are quite delicate, but the centre "blob" is exactly that :?   What does anyone think please?

#2. Whitefriars "Nailhead" vase designed by Geoffrey Baxter in 1967. 16cm high.  I think the colour is 'Meadow' but not too sure.

#3. Davidson jade flower block - 1910 series.

#4. Freeform bowl which seems to match the colours of ones seen on the Altaglass w.site.  Hope this is Altaglass and not Murano, just for a change, just so that I can say its from Medicine Hat :lol:  What a great name place!

#5. Ashtray designed by Rudolf Jurnikl for Sklo Union, c.60s.  Great colour!

#6. Pair of Bohemia 'cube' candleholders (only 1 shown here).  Don't know too much about these, and I think it's the same as the one that Ivo showed previously.

#7.  Blue abstract thing - looks kind of Czech, but again I'm not sure.  May be just paying homage to similar type Czech designs.  Anyone have any thoughts about this one please?

Heck - another box of glass to pack up!  Supposed to be downsizing but the whole lot cost less than a tenner :roll:

TIA for any comments.  :P
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flick

• Members
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 02:15:27 PM »
I am deeply jealous but very happy for you!  Finding new things is a "fix" isn't it?  At least it's harmless.  We don't have car boots over here unfortunately but at least I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn.  :D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 03:27:52 PM »
What a fabulous selection Anne - lucky you.  Yes your Whitefriars nailhead looks like Meadow Green ( and I am Meadow  Green with envy!!)  Have a good move....I have just done it and am totally exhausted, also with a rather nasty shoulder injury from lifting too many heavy boxes of glass no doubt. So do be careful.  One good thing is that my upper arms have become rather nicely "toned" as a result.  !!LOL  Emmi

Sklounion

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 04:10:02 PM »
Hi Anne,
5 and 6, yes, correct ids.
7, not convinced that these are Czech, and I can think of only one item from one factory, made by Sklo Union, in red glass. These small vases seem to appear in many colours, including red, and often claimed as Czech, WF, Sklo Union, but I am tending toward Scandinavian manufacture.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 04:20:03 PM »
Thanks Flick :P  and no, I don't get up at the crack of dawn, although I should on carboot day :lol:  I need all the "beauty" sleep I can get :twisted:

Thanks for the colour confirmation Emmi.  I knew you'd spot it :P  I've been packing for weeks and all my glass (& Cornish pottery) is ready to go, apart from this morning's lot.  My other WF pieces are already there in storage.  Can't believe how heavy my Czech glass is collectively!  Fortunately the removal man is a Goliath and reckons he can pick up a washing machine with one hand!  (Should I be worried???)  I am having fun vacuum packing clothes though, pity I can't do the same with glass :lol:  Take care of your shoulder!

About to be super-honed-toned-fit-Anne 8)
Anne E.B

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 03:31:47 PM »
I agree that 1. is Chinese.
Don't know who made the last one, but I have a few and use them as candle holders (voltives). They pop up quite a bit here in the States, making me think it might be one of the North American companies.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 03:51:24 PM »
Many thanks for your comments Marcus and Laura  :P  

A great idea to use the last blue one as a votive.  I'm sure I've seen these, or similar ones with painted(?) facets - but usually in a scratched condition.
Anne E.B

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 02:44:29 PM »
Anne,

A similar freeform dish (4) is mentioned in Miller's 20th Century Glass (Andy McConnell) and is mentioned as being a copy of Flygsfors Coquille, and deriving from either Sweden, Czech or United States. Strangely, not even Murano is mentioned :shock:

As a point of interest, if you shine a UV torch on these vases they do glow eitehr salmon-pink (Selenium) or yellow (Cadmium) - not easy to say, but if it's yellow (try it on the tip) then I believe Cadmium was stopped being used many years ago, so might give an indication of age.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 03:21:17 PM »
Quote from: "Le Casson"
7, not convinced that these are Czech, and I can think of only one item from one factory, made by Sklo Union, in red glass. These small vases seem to appear in many colours, including red, and often claimed as Czech, WF, Sklo Union, but I am tending toward Scandinavian manufacture.
Regards,
Marcus

I noticed a green one of these is on eBay currently... I meant to note it but didn't. I'll try and find it again for a colour reference.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline moreglass

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 07:58:07 PM »
Hi hello, saw your booty haul,impressive.The green textured vase i think is by Jones & Co of Birmingham,manufactured in Sweden.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand