No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A Caithness LE 'Mariner 2'  (Read 2295 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
A Caithness LE 'Mariner 2'
« on: September 25, 2006, 08:49:50 AM »
At the Cambridge Glass Fair I was lucky enough to snap up this Limited Edition weight at a good price at the end of the day, as the dealer didn't normally 'do' paperweights, and just didn't want to have to take it home with him. 

It's a Caithness LE entitled 'Mariner 2' which was a Colin Terris design from 1984.  This is number 164 of 750. 
   http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3418

Here's the base    http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3417

Now, this is an interesting point, made by youngest son, who's a bit of a 'space buff'.  The weight shows a red planet, with what appear to be - ahem - 'canals' on the surface.  OK.  Do we therefore assume this is Mars?  I did. 

But the Mariner probes were Venus probes!    :shock:

So what gives?  Did Terris make a mistake and think the Mariners were Mars probes?  Or is Mars just 'easier to do' than Venus?  Or what?   :?

BTW, Do you want this one for your Caithness section, Frank?  If so I'll try to do a better pic.
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 02:16:30 PM »
Yes please.

Here is a more recent Caithness interpretation of Venus... link

Artistic license I presume.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 07:33:42 PM »
Quote from: "Frank"
Yes please.

OK I'll do another tomorrow in daylight (and preferrably without reflections  :oops: )
Artistic license I presume.

Maybe, but I would have thought that a red planet would suggest Mars to most people   :?  

I still like all the Caithness space 'commemoratives'.  I know the kids these days are a bit blase about space exploration, but I guess those of us who are old enough to have seen 'Sputnik', 'Explorer 1', and 'Telstar' still remember the awe and wonder!    :roll:

(BTW, I did actually see 'Sputnik'!  We were up a tree in my neighbour's garden with his binoculars!   :lol: )
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 10:03:28 PM »
All the current issue Space inspired pieces are up now LINK The Big Bang shows in the printed catalogue as purple which was due to a printing difficulty. All of the current issues are using the original images used for the catalogue but with big size and accurate colour. Some breathtaking pics.

To see all the most recently uploaded select List All Products and then go to the end. Still some (60 ish) Limited editions to be uploaded for 2005/6 issues.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand