No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian Vaseline 'finds' from Cambridge  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Victorian Vaseline 'finds' from Cambridge
« on: September 25, 2006, 07:59:58 AM »
Here's my 'show-and-tell' from the Cambridge Glass Fair :  a couple more Victorian vaseline mini vases.  Not quite 'Audrey', but the style I like.  

This is one which Dave (Mr Vaseline Glass) shows one on the front of his book, and has confirmed as Stourbridge  : http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/normal_Stourbridge_leaf_footed_uranium_flower.jpg  
It's almost the pair of one I bought a couple of years ago.  The rim is slightly different, as are the overall proportions, but they are clearly 'sisters'.  For comparison, here's the first one : http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/normal_Flower%20pot%20with%203%20feet%202.jpg

The other one is a tall, skinny 'Audrey' : http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/normal_Slim_Audrey.jpg
She has some strange rigaree trailing leading down to three of the six 'root' feet.  At first I thought a couple of the feet had been chipped and smoothed off at some time, but on closer examination it appears they were actually made that way.  They are slightly odd and a little asymetric, but not obtrusively so.  This one has a 'look' of a Stourbridge piece, but I'm not sure.  I like her anyway, because of the slight eccentricity, which quite suits me   :wink:  :lol:

A good day's 'shopping' I thought!   :D
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 08:07:15 AM »
Looks like a fruitful day Leni, particularly like the first one you picture, I do think these are very under rated at present by many people. Only sorry I missed it but didn't arrive back from holiday until last night, nust check schedule more carefully for next year.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 09:59:07 AM »
I'm beginning to really like the creamy style of this glass, but I don't think I'll ever get to grips with the ruffles and fluting!  :lol:

(you never know though...)
I am not a man

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 10:08:02 AM »
Quote from: "Max"
I'm beginning to really like the creamy style of this glass, but I don't think I'll ever get to grips with the ruffles and fluting!  :lol:

(you never know though...)

Nah, you're not a 'frilly' girl, Max  :wink:  I know your taste is 'modern & elegant' 8)  I like the ruffles, 'cos  I'm more 'arsenic & old lace'    :lol:

I love the subtle green-to-cream colour of this sort of vaseline, rather than the bright yellowy-green stuff, and I love to see the opalescence when the sunlight hits it!
Leni

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 10:16:47 AM »
Oh Leni, you wait until I find the box with the thorn vases....it's under here somewhere (mutter mutter mutter....)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 10:23:11 AM »
Quote from: "Leni"

I love the subtle green-to-cream colour of this sort of vaseline, rather than the bright yellowy-green stuff, and I love to see the opalescence when the sunlight hits it!

You'll hardly be able to believe it, but I was salivating over a piece of Burtles & Tate yesterday...that was cream to yellow....mmmm!  It had real depth somehow.   :D
I am not a man

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 12:07:15 PM »
Beautiful finds, Leni. :)
You're a woman of great taste.
Frills ROCK! :D
Marinka.
More glass than class!