No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Strathearn Surface Decorated piece?  (Read 5344 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Is this a Surface Decorated piece?
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 08:21:24 AM »
The rarest being the stuff with chunks of millefiori cane in, usually rather dreary colouring and only a handful are known to have survived... less than two dozen, if I am feeling generous. Paisley Shawl and Cloisonne are the most often found. 2 or 3 lamps are known in Paisley Shawl with one complete Mushroom lamp that changed hands for over 5 thousand pounds 15 years ago. All of the Monart that has sold over two thousand pounds was Paisley Shawl. There are a few other types that are fairly unique and would change hands in those prices ranges, were they ever to be sold.

The largest collection of early Monart was put together by a couple who started buying in the early 1930's and frequently visited the Ysart's in Scotland to obtain pieces. They passed away some time ago but their collection has yet to appear on the market.

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 12:06:19 PM »
Thanks Ray for the pic,
                                     i have one of those as well in blue and white with Strathearn label, not too sure what there use really is, the one i have is flat and reminds me of a coaster more than a weight, there is an article with pics on Richard More"s site about these items,
                                       Gary
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 12:13:55 PM »
Wow! Thanks all for your contributions. I cannot believe my little brown vase has engendered such a wealth of fascinating information. This is why I love this Message Board.
Ronnie

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 12:44:07 PM »
We are all whacko's  8)  :D

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 02:18:08 PM »
i was wondering Gary if these are the left over's from the tropic range, ie the bit that is left on the pontil iron after the weight has been cut off
cheers Ray

Offline Mountaingit

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 11:40:49 PM »
To get back to the original question Ronnie. Are you sure that vase was surface decorated? Could you feel a texture? It just looked like a cased, clear glass decoration to my eyes. These multi-coloured "spattered effect" pieces were fairly common in Strathearn. For Luckyslap, I THINK these were from a range called "Aurora". They did a range of paperweights in a very similar decoration. Best wishes to all, Martin.
artin

Campaign for "my" Vasart to reach Monart prices

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 08:01:35 PM »
Ray said:
i was wondering Gary if these are the left over's from the tropic range, ie the bit that is left on the pontil iron after the weight has been cut off
I doubt this. Surely, the coloured chips around any "left overs" part on the punty iron would have been too small to do much with. And anyway, I imagine most of the "left overs" would have been removed from the iron by simply dunking in cold water, resulting in just a pale full of broken shards.
KevinH

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006, 10:17:29 AM »
Hi Martin
The surface of the vase is definitely textured. When I first picked it up I thought it had been painted over with a textured paint which made me think it was a fake Strathearn until I read about the surface decorated Monart pieces and wondered if Strathearn had used the same techniqu - hence the original question.
Thanks for your interest and input.
Ronnie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand