No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Identification Scandinavian?  (Read 2199 times)

Offline suzi99

• Members
Identification Scandinavian?
« on: September 25, 2006, 09:15:44 PM »
Hello I am wondering if anyone could help me to identify this vase.  I was thinking it looks perhaps Scandanavian but it has no identifying labels etc.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 10:52:08 PM »
Hi Suzi - if it's just over 10.5" high with a flat rim I have one in a blue/green colour and I'm still trying to trace it.  No polished pontil but a slightly concave bottom?  Maybe we'll both be enlightened.  Kind regards Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 11:16:21 PM »
Hi Suzi,
The colour is hard to see on the photo. Is this vase aubergine in colour?
If it was made by Riihimaen Lasi, it will not have a concave 'polished' pontil mark, not for this bullet shape anyhow.
Is it possible to have a picture of the base and also of the rim. It would also be easier to see the colour if the background was white.

Cat,
Could you post a picture of yours too? The greeny/blue colour is a favourite of mine.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline suzi99

• Members
Here's some more pictures
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 01:57:44 AM »
Hi Deltab,
Sorry for the late response I have been away.  Yes I would call the colour aubergine.  I have taken another couple of pictures of base & rim and also a picture of vase with white background.  It also stands 10 inches tall if that helps.  Thanks again & I hope this helps

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 06:41:23 AM »
It looks like modern production to me Suzi.  These days there's so much copying of the Scandinavian style that sometimes the only way to tell possible age is through the wear to the base.

The Cancer Research shop did some really great floor vases that were re-sold on Ebay as Holmegaard and people paid good money for them.  :?
I am not a man

Offline suzi99

• Members
Re: Wear on the Base
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 12:18:34 AM »
Thanks Max there is some wear to the base.  I'm glad I didn't bid on those ones on ebay  :shock:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand