No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vintage Lasi Oy Glasses & Box  (Read 2515 times)

Offline BJB

• Members
Vintage Lasi Oy Glasses & Box
« on: September 26, 2006, 02:16:02 PM »
Hi All,

Found these on Sunday, an original box and glasses.

http://i9.tinypic.com/34g3fcj.jpg

http://i9.tinypic.com/2v31xzn.jpg

Just wondering how old they might be. I thought maybe 1950's looking at the box, but OH thought 1960's.

Barbara

(Will be  listing them on that auction site tonight  :wink: )

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 02:29:40 PM »
Excellent find!

I would have guessed late 1950's - early 1960's, based on the graphic's style and colouring.

I'll be up Nottingham way a lot quite soon when the OH goes back to university there - I'll have to find out which bootsales you go to...  :wink:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 02:35:41 PM »
OH is right - Riihimäki used a cursive underline narrow allcap in the 1950s; I believe the allcap Helvetica was introduced 1960.

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 02:50:26 PM »
Hi Nic and Ivo,

Well the OH is older than me  :D  so remembers so much more.

So not a bad find then.

To be honest if the glasses had been on a shelf or stall I wouldn't have looked at them twice  :oops: they aren't much to look at and have no distingusing (sp) marks.

Nic, not from a carboot sale  :wink: but there are some good retro shops in Nottingham, one near the Victoria centre and the other up Mansfield Road.

Barbara

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 03:27:37 PM »
I know there are some en-route to Sherwood near a huge cemetery which occasionally have bits and pieces of note. No idea what the street is called, though.

And I love the shops on Derby Road (I bought the most comfortable 1950's Fritz Hansen armchair from The Danish Homestore down there not too long ago).

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 04:58:11 PM »
Hi Barbara - I think they're really nice glasses :-)  I love finding things in their original box, so satisfying.

I went to a car boot sale once and saw what looked like a Holmegaard Princess wine glass which I picked up to look at and the seller said 'there's six of those I've only got one out of the box' and held up a nice old Holmegaard box with the other five inside still wrapped up in their tissue paper.  Even better - she only wanted £3 for them  :shock:

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 05:19:08 PM »
:twisted:

Why does that never happen to me?

If it was me, this would happen, I can guarantee it:
I'd pick up the glass and the seller would come over and say, "That's Whitefriars that is, can let you have them for £50. We threw the box away this morning because it was a bit dusty. But it must be rare and valuable Whitefriars, because the box didn't say Whitefriars on it."

Oh, I miss going to antique fairs - I seem to have this conversation at every other stall.

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 05:42:03 PM »
Hi Nic,

I tell you what happens to me at the local carboot sales, as I go every week

" Oh look its the glass lady, whatever she picks up must be worth someting so we will bump the price up! " :cry:

Its got so I only buy from certain people, which can have its advantages as they know I will buy without asking for a discount if its what I want, so they usually save me the more unusual stuff.

But I must admit nearly everything is "Whitefriars", even things with other labels on!!!!

Barbara

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 07:21:09 PM »
Quote from: "Pinkspoons"
If it was me, this would happen, I can guarantee it:
I'd pick up the glass and the seller would come over and say, "That's Whitefriars that is, can let you have them for £50. We threw the box away this morning because it was a bit dusty. But it must be rare and valuable Whitefriars, because the box didn't say Whitefriars on it."

Oh, I miss going to antique fairs - I seem to have this conversation at every other stall.

Don't worry Nic - that happens regularly to me too  :roll:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand