No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unsigned Abelman or .... ?  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Unsigned Abelman or .... ?
« on: September 26, 2006, 09:32:22 PM »
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3436

Here is another of my "little pretties".  I believe the design is called 'pulled feather' and the maker perhaps Abelman but it is unsigned/undated.  The colors are everchanging due to its iridescence but you have a nice example of what they can be from the photos.

Any thoughts or ideas would be most appreciated.

All the best .... Lily

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
hmmm
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 01:20:50 AM »
If Abelman, I'm surprised it's unsigned. That would be an oddity based on my experience with those paperweights. Also has that Northern Star quality (Smyers family) and even a bit of Vandermark.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 05:28:16 AM »
A weight very much like it was sold by Greene's Glass as a BIN on Ebay.  I should have saved it right then to add to my post. I'll keep an eye out for it as feedback is posted and add it for comparsion purposes.  The pattern in the photo looked identical, although the weight was larger as I recall.  Mine is 2-1/2" diameter by 2-1/2" tall.  It truly looks to be in perfect condition save for the light bottom wear.  Is there a way to contact Abelman Studios for, per chance, a positive ID?

I have looked at other makers in the past, including the ones you have suggested, but came away feeling they were not quite it.  The search will go on ... and on ..... and .....  :roll:

Thank you for your post .... Lily

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 05:28:30 PM »
Good news!!! :D  I contacted Abelman Glass and received a reply from Stuart Abelman himself! 8)  He confirmed my little weight is "definitely" his.  He did not know why it wasn't signed/dated and asked when/where I got it.  He also offered to sign it and may be able to date it when he sees it.  I know this is one of Abelman's studio pieces (if that is the correct term) and so pretty common.  That being said,  I have to also say the design is lovely, especially when you see it up close and personal.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether it is more advantageous to get the paperweight signed or just keep the documentation with it and let it be the "one that got away  :?:

All the best ..... Lily

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
WOW - GREAT QUESTION
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 12:04:45 PM »
Thats a truly great question Lily. To have it signed or not to have it signed.

Does signing it after-the-fact actually bring up ethical questions? Of course, you can now get a photograph of the artist signing his own weight. That's great provenance. And maybe you can get a photo of him handing you the paperweight.

I think having the maker sign his or her weight - even after it was made - is just fine, especially if he knows what year he made it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand