No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Purple scandinavian vase? - ID = probably Alsterfors  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Jay Kaner

• Members
Purple scandinavian vase? - ID = probably Alsterfors
« on: September 27, 2006, 10:11:49 AM »
A while back I saw a picture of a vase designed by Tapio Wirkkala for Rosenthal, in a book (can't remember which book :roll:)

A while after that, I found this vase which is, as i remember it, is near as damn it identical to the one in the book.

So, what I'd like to know is...  Is this a Tapio Wirkkala vase designed for Rosenthal...OR...is it something very similar a Tapio Wirkkala vase designed for Rosenthal????

What do you reckon?

Sizewise the vase is 168mm X 70mm.   I don't know why but in the picture, the rim of the vase has a 'lumpy, jagged' bit which isn't there in real life.

Anyway, here it is...

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3438

Wirkkala or Wirkrappy  :lol:

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
Hi again. I'd like your veiws on what I think (hope) this is
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 11:55:11 AM »
p330 of Miller's Collectables 2006 has a 6" cased red vase of the same shape down to Per Ström for Alsterfors

Offline Jay Kaner

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 06:07:56 PM »
Quote from: "Chris Harrison"
p330 of Miller's Collectables 2006 has a 6" cased red vase of the same shape down to Per Ström for Alsterfors

Hi Chris.  

Ta for that. I haven't got that book so I shall check it out next time I'm in WHSmiths, assuming they have a copy, otherwise it'll be Waterstones.   :lol:

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 06:38:08 PM »
Hi Jay,  :)

The Wirkkala vase that you are referring to is depicted in Designlasin hintakirja, pg 339. The height is given as being 20cm. It is only a sketch, but the top of your vase looks too long in comparison.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Jay Kaner

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 08:40:03 PM »
Quote from: "Deltab"
Hi Jay,  :)

The Wirkkala vase that you are referring to is depicted in Designlasin hintakirja, pg 339. The height is given as being 20cm. It is only a sketch, but the top of your vase looks too long in comparison.

Oh well, nevermind!!   :roll:  :wink:    I got my little hopes up hoping it was a Wirkkala.  
It's ok though, I'm not too down hearted. Whoever made it, it's still a really nice looking vase.

Thanks for looking it up, though   :D

Jay

Offline Jay Kaner

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 12:02:03 PM »
Quote from: Chris Harrison

Hi Chris.  

I've still not seen a piccy of this vase.  So i wanted to ask, the one you mention, does it have a thickish clear base?  I've seen one for sale, very similar shape to mine, ruby red with a 1/2" thick clear glass base which stands at about 6" tall.  

Seller want's £15 for it.

Jay

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 02:26:18 PM »
Yup, it definitely does.  Mebbe a tad more than 1/2 inch in the pic in Miller's.

Offline Jay Kaner

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 07:20:21 PM »
Quote from: "Chris Harrison"
Yup, it definitely does.  Mebbe a tad more than 1/2 inch in the pic in Miller's.

Ta for that Chris.  Does it give a guide price?  I've seen these ones go for a bit more than £15 on ebay.  Then there's P&P to add on, so £15 all in is looking good.  From what I saw of it in the glass cabinet, it looked in ex con as well.

Jay

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 10:05:09 PM »
Only £15-20 a/c to Miller's.  
Then again, nothing in Miller's (or any other "authority") should be regarded as 100%.  :-)
I usually buy old ones for the piccies.  
I got the Collectables 2006 as a freebie...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand