No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Selkirk "Lace Fountain"  (Read 2084 times)

Offline ktownsley

• Members
Selkirk "Lace Fountain"
« on: September 27, 2006, 08:09:48 PM »
I just bought my first paperweight. It's a Selkirk - 1988 "Lace Fountain" 467 of 500 w/box. Does anyone know about what this is worth now? Thanks for any help.
kathy

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k281/ktownsley/1571paperweight1.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
questions
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 02:29:15 AM »
What did you pay for it and how did you come to get it? EBay? Antique show or a gift shop?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ktownsley

• Members
Selkirk "Lace Fountain"
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 11:35:07 AM »
It had been listed on Ebay but I lost the bid. I contacted the woman who won and asked her if she ever relisted to let me know. She said she hadn't expected to actually get it and it was going to be a gift for her sister but she already had one similiar. So I was thrilled when she offered it to me. I paid $35 shipped for it.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
depends
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 05:06:54 PM »
The Selkirk glassworks has shut its doors, so there won't be any more Selkirk paperweights being made. However, the eBay effect has depressed the market for many types of paperweights (most contemporary sulphides are hopelessly inexpensive) and for some manufactuers of glass, Selkirk being one of them.

Putting a future value on your weight is impossible at this stage of the game. Based on the true retail cost of its paperweights - when Selkirk was making its weights, accept that you got a very good bargain. But also acknowledge that the price is not going to go up any time soon. The value is what you paid for it.

Selkirk's weights are fanciful and well-made with wonderful execution of design and colorful styling. Unfortunately, the world of eBay works against higher prices for mid-range paperweights.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand