No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: AVEM Label Identification  (Read 3775 times)

Offline ginfor

• Members
    • http://www.ginforsodditiques.com
AVEM Label Identification
« on: September 27, 2006, 09:15:10 PM »
From the information I have so far, the design on this bowl is Venini, but this is a copy, possibly by AVEM.  This label, though fairly generic in design, is believed to be an AVEM label, but can anybody confirm that? Thanks.
Forrest
http://home.earthlink.net/~fvposton/aa.murvase.jpg

Offline shats

• Members
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 11:19:11 PM »
Forrest:

This does not look like an AVEM piece to me.  As you said I agree it is a copy of the Venini handkerchief bowls.

Howard
Buyer and Seller of Contemporary Glass

Offline ginfor

• Members
AVEM
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 02:16:48 AM »
Copying a Venini design is not likely to result in an AVEM look, unless of course they went so far as to do it in tutti frutti, which would rather overwhelm the sense of it being a Venini design.  So unless AVEM was far more limited in production, design, and ability than I think, saying it doesn't look like AVEM work isn't really to the point.  After all, not every Picasso looks like a Picasso.

Forrest

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 06:01:31 AM »
This looks for all the world to me like a Venini piece and the label looks like an export label rather than a manufacturers one. Are you quite sure there is no acid etched factory stamp anywhere on this? I've had some particularly on white based backgrouds that are very tricky to find and on one particular piece cannot be seen at all in most light and then some days it's clear as a bell.
The base looks typically Venini with the ground out pontil and I've a signed Venini in the same colour combination in my collection which is the twin of yours.
I'm pretty certain it's not Avem or Fratelli Toso and could well have had an accompanying Venini label which has become detached over the years.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline ginfor

• Members
AVEM
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 07:13:56 AM »
I've a friend who has dealt with good quality Murano for some time (still learning), and she is certain that this is an export label used by AVEM.  Now, in some cases several companies used the same export labels while other export labels seem to be tied to one company.  Still trying to confirm things there.

I think we're all agreed that the design is Venini, but from there?

Any chance you could post pics of your Venini version and the signature, or e-mail them to me at ginfor@earthlink.net  ?

Forrest

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 05:21:58 PM »
I can't post a piccy at present as we are having the house renovated so all the more fragile glass has all been crated up and is in the loft until the chaos ends, but when "normality" returns hopefully in around 3 weeks, I'll play catch up then.
The most commonly used exporter label on AVEM pieces was the turquoise MADE IN ITALY on a silver background in circular format,
but often an export company would be working for several of the Murano studios at the same time, hence the duplication of the companys labels.
Paul

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 06:34:20 PM »
I have seen that label on Seguso, Barovier, and Avem pieces, so I think its just a generic export label.

Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 06:50:46 PM »
What do you reckon on this fazoletto Javier the base looks certain Venini to me.
Paul

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 10:00:54 PM »
Hi Paul,
Has the looks of a Venini piece, but if its unsigned and only with that label, I would suggest Fratelli Toso. I had a similar one with the same label, with Yellow inside, and I really thought it was Toso. I have another cased Venini vase, and the making/feel looked a bit off from a Venini piece to me. I sold it as Fratelli Toso.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 06:37:06 AM »
Yes it is difficult without being able to feel a piece, I know I rely more on if a piece feels right than anything else, especially with my eyesight getting so bad. Must be getting old!!
Paul

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand