No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Iittala/Sklo Union vase query - ID=Pavel Pánek design for Sklo Union  (Read 5475 times)

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
Does anyone know who designed this vase?

http://www.marikan-maljakot.com/gallery/maljakot/000563.htm

I've seen this particular vase attributed to Sklo Union (Peceny and Vizner) a number of times, but never seen one with an Iittala label before.

Any help gratefully received.

TIA
Chris

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Iittala/Sklo Union vase query
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 11:55:04 AM »
I'd be inclined to think this attribution was correct. Have you seen the rest of her website (and her collection). It's fabulous (and bilingual) :D  :D

Sklounion

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 12:03:19 PM »
Hi Chris,

Both attributions are incorrect, as is one for this vase, as a Rene Roubicek design.

I cannot explain the iittala label, but clearly this is a Pavel Pánek design for Sklo Union, Heřmanova Hut’, from 1971, pattern number 20218, sizes 165 and 210mm. Only the 165mm variant was exhibited at Gottwaldov in 1972, catalogue number 254. Not illustrated in the catalogue.
It was, however, in both variants, illustrated in the Pavel Pánek retrospective catalogue, published by RMT, 1995, plate no 4.

Unless iittala bought the moulds, (unlikely imho) then this label has been added in error.

Regards,

Marcus

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 01:41:56 PM »
Thanks, all  - especially Marcus, of course!

I have a version of this vase that is bang on 200 mm tall, and it has the typical Czech deep indented base with ground rim (I can't bring myself to call it a birdbath base, perhaps because I have an old Boots' porcelain bedpan performing that function in my garden - althought the birds don't seem to mind).  But I digress...

I must say that the quality of the metal of my vase is really very, very good. Clear and bright with no flaws or bubbles at all.

Dontcha hate folks who muck about with sticky labels...?

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 01:44:35 PM »
Oops, sorry Christine.  Yes, it's a very nice site, and I learned a lot from it.  I think I've identified a couple of my unknowns from it.

Sigh...  Only so many hours in a day...

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 01:58:47 PM »
Quote from: "Chris"
I must say that the quality of the metal of my vase is really very, very good. Clear and bright with no flaws or bubbles at all.

:?  :?  I am really very confused now.....metal....bubbles..... :oops:
Is it just not my day today??
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 02:17:10 PM »
Hiya Chris, I have one the same in my shop - I agree they're fabulous, it's one of my favourite Sklo pieces.  I'm confused about why anyone would put an Iittala label on one of these - it's so typically Sklo IMO, positively screams of it.  Anyway, I love 'em :-)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 02:48:36 PM »
Quote from: "Deltab"
:?  :?  I am really very confused now.....metal....bubbles..... :oops: Is it just not my day today??

you may have been thrown by the word "metal" which glass technicians use to describe the glass itself.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 02:52:41 PM »
Quote from: "Ivo"
you may have been thrown by the word "metal" which glass technicians use to describe the glass itself.

Yes, I was Ivo. Thanks for the explanation.  :)
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Marika

• Members
    • Marikan Maljakot / Marika's Vases
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 03:04:24 PM »
Hi

It's nice that Marcus informed me about this vase that isn't Iittala's vase
even if it has Iittala's sticker.
When I bought that I assumed that I was Iittala's vase even when Iittala couldn't identify that vase. Sometimes some vase had been made for some company and that's why it hasn't been in normal catalogs. I thaought that was the case now. And boy was I wrong. :cry:

I will remove that picture on next update.

Marika
http://www.marikan-maljakot.com/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand