No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Purple/clear heavy matte vase - ID probably = ZBS, Cz  (Read 4214 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Purple/clear heavy matte vase - ID probably = ZBS, Cz
« on: November 30, 2005, 10:58:29 AM »
I have found this matte and clear vase whilst emptying more boxes.
It is extremely heavy.
Does anyone know where it comes from?
It looks pink, but it is more purple?

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3374
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-498
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-500
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-499

Once again, many thanks for any info.
Della
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 01:36:27 PM »
Looks Czech to me, possibly by ZBS/ Zelezni Brod but I must admit I've never seen this model before. The colour is probably Neodymium - check if it remains purple under TL light or if it turns blue?

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Any ideas?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 01:48:34 PM »
Sorry for my ignorance Ivo.......TL light?
It is now on my bar and the clear glass appears to be grey/light blue.
The strange thing is about this vase is that it changes colour depending on the surroundings.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Any ideas?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 03:14:51 PM »
sorry fluorescent light - so if it changes colour from pink to blue it is Neodymium - you will find more information on this board on this colour, just use the search button  . :)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Any ideas?
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 03:51:07 PM »
Wow :!: That is soooo cool.
It turns green under energy saving lights and blue under fluorescent light, so I guess that makes it Neodymium glass.
I have had it for ages and never knew!
Does that make it any easier to identify? Or maybe give me an approximate age for it?
Thanks Ivo :lol:  :lol:

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Any ideas?
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 05:34:31 PM »
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-502

Just thought that I would show you, should anyone be interested.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Any ideas?
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 10:04:41 AM »
:D :D :D
This look similar to some pieces produced by Peill and Putzler, but I have no idea if they used neodynium glass at all. Peill and Putzler is usually marked, with a symbol that is two back-to-back letter "P"'s, acid etched. It is often on the side of a vase, near the base.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Any ideas?
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 10:39:37 AM »
Hi Sue,
I can't find any marks on it anywhere. I think that it did have a label at one time as there are remnants of glue the shape of a label underneath.
I remember buying it, second hand, at an indoor market. It looked grey/blue at the time and when I got it home and unpacked it I was really disappointed because it was lilac. Then I took it outside to take a photo of it and it was pink. So in a box it went as it doesn't fit with my interior. I was purely curious because I was going to sell it and a background on a piece is always beneficial when it comes to selling. Now I am not sure what to do with it. Thanks to Ivo I found out it has magical qualities and I now look at it in a different light  :lol: (pardon the pun!)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Any ideas?
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 12:40:59 PM »
I've never seen Neodymium made by P&P so I would still vote ZBS.  And a nice piece of design it is, too.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Any ideas?
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 03:37:30 PM »
Excellent photos, Della. It's fascinating to see the different appearances side by side. Many thanks - super!

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand