No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: OLD ENGLISH ILLUSION GLASS  (Read 2735 times)

Offline Ming

• Members
OLD ENGLISH ILLUSION GLASS
« on: September 29, 2006, 03:19:03 PM »
Hi
I am not sure is this the right place to ask about old English drinking glass as most the time we are talking about art glass. There must be other like myself who collect both.
Here is the question:
I have a illusion glass which l hope to put a date to it , can anybody help?
The glass is 5" high, bucket bowl and thick flat feet. The bowl has bubbles and other impurities. Although the pontil mark was removed but not nicely polished. Where the stem join with feet there is a ring groove on the base.
From the "Collecting Glass" book there is similar illusion glass dated 1830.
1)Surely if this glass is made in the same time it should  not have these amount of bubbles and other impurities. l though glass making was quite advance at that time.
2)Why illusion glass price so lowly  surely there would  not be much demand for it.
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/courtoak/ILLUSIONGLASS1.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/courtoak/ILLUSIONGLASS2.jpg
Never walk away from a bargain

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline B & M

• Members
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 05:00:49 PM »
I'd say English Rummer, mid 19th century, c1850, maybe a little earlier. Bubbles & inclusions are quite ususal for drinking glasses of this age & type. I'm not sure what you mean by 'Illusion glass', I think you might be referring to what a lot of collectors call a 'deception glass', where the bowl is very thick to give a deceptive suggestion of capacity.  In my view, your glass is not thick enough to be described as such but it's still a nice looking and usable Victorian glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ming

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 01:34:37 AM »
Thanks B&M for the inform.
Some books called it illusion glass or other called deception glass.
This rummer is really a deception glass . If you put a card inside the wall of the glass you will find the slope is about 20 degree. The lower inside diameter is very small measured  to be 1" diameter compare to the ouside diameter 2". The amount of water it holds is very little compare to the size of the bowl. It  is diffcult  to see in the photo otherwise why bother to call it Deception.
Never walk away from a bargain

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand