No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Volunteer to proof read Caithness 2006  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Volunteer to proof read Caithness 2006
« on: September 27, 2006, 07:47:12 PM »
The entire contents of
[*]Caithness Glass, Paperweights and Gifts 2006
[*]Caithness Glass, Paperweights and Gifts autumn/winter 2006
are online now. There are bound to be some copying/typing errors.

Would someone who has the catalogues like to volunteer to proof read please.

Please announce it here, if more than one wants to do it I suggest one starts at the back and the other from the front.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
clarification neeeded
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 08:23:09 PM »
Frank. Would you clarify what needs to be proofread? I clicked on the link and looked at the site.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 08:46:41 PM »
Working from the 2006 catalogue, start at page one and enter the weight name in search. There is probably on hit, possibly more if several colours. All data/images given should match the catalogue and nothing in the catalogue should be missing. There could well be Magnum/Medium/miniatures not indicated, incorrect designer attribution etcetera. However I have identified at least one weight that Caithness attribute to the wrong year/designer. Any conflicts between different catalogues and Charlton or other sources are noted in the text for each weight. It is a time consuming task... mind you preparing and adding the 1500 images plus 800+ thumbnails and descriptions has been too :shock:

There are some items released in either autumn (fall) 2004 and 2005 that are still undated. My rule is nothing goes in without affirmation of the data.

I have switched to the glassware now, which is proving a much more challenging task then the weights. But I have come to recognise this particular task as an important foundation in the Scotland's Glass project.

The catalogues of other glassmakers will be added too, I have many of the images for Perthshire Paperweights prepared too. But I do need to attract other researchers to work on the project, the software allows others to work on the databases.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 10:12:51 PM »
Frank,
I would dearly love to help, but I do not have any catalogues.
If you do not have any volunteers, but can send me the catalogues, which of course I would return at my own cost, I would be more than prepared to offer my assistance.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
okay, sort of
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 12:17:54 AM »
Frank: I hate to seem dense, but I'm still unclear on what's expected. Are we to have catalogues in our possession? What do we proof against? The material you have posted on the web? The only thing Caithness I have, aside from some paperweights, is the first edition of the Charlton book, and that book is error-filled in and of itself. Maybe I'm missing something in your explanation and in viewing your website. It stikes me that using the Charlton book, first edition, wouldn't be 100% beneficial because that book has mistakes in it - from typographical errors to flat-out misinformation and omissions. It simply not that reliable a volume. Thanks.

Offline Potentspirit

• Members
catalogue 2006
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 08:36:22 AM »
I have both catalogues, and would e prepared to help. I do not know much about `art glas

Margaret Jones.
Margaret A Jones

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 03:18:04 PM »
Hi Margaret, Thank you,

Knowledge is not needed just checking that the data I have typed in matches the catalogue. I have left dates undefined where it is not clear that it is new line, although I think all the 2006 dates are confirmed.

Some time the errors are obvious as someone told me this morning, four items were listed as limited editions but were in fact unlimited (corrected).

Other errors could be similar choice of category but most likely, wrong designer, incorrect edition quantity.

Hi Wrightoutlook,

It is a task that does need access to the original catalogues, I am mostly working from contributed scans and can pass those on to a proofreader. The proofreading needs to work backwards as that should be easiest to ensure comprehensive coverage before proofing. I have some work to do to complete 2005 yet. I am also getting other items submitted but it makes sense to get as much catalogue data in first and then follow up with photographs of the weights, glassware etc. This will make it much easier to identify the material that appear in none of the Caithness catalogues, nor in Charlton etc.

Overall it is looking to be an exciting project and there is probably less than a tenth of the production on-line so far.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand