Author Topic: Can anyone help with ID of thi beautiful paperweight?  (Read 633 times)

Offline Carterofmars

• Members

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
whitefriars
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 12:30:12 PM »
I have a large paperweight similar to this, although mine has a slight neck on top of the dome and a knob on top of the neck. I have been told by a Canadian collector who should know - a glass expert originally from England - that these are an interesting and unusual Whitefriars design and manufacture, and are considered "doorstops." They are larger than usual paperweight-style items.

There are slopping rounded versions of the doorstop design as well as more specifically doorstop-looking versions (as pictured below). There is also the version you have, without the neck and the knob, which looks more like a traditional paperweight. They were all made sometime in the 1970s according to the glass expert. They are an unusual and highly collectible design from a glassmaker that generally made millefiori paperweights.

If you click on the link below and scroll down, you will see something similar to what you have.

http://www.circaglass.co.uk/phdi/p2.nsf/supppages/circa?opendocument&part=3

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com