No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can Anyone Value My Monart Vase re: House Insurance Claim  (Read 2591 times)

Offline Tiger

• Members
Can Anyone Value My Monart Vase re: House Insurance Claim
« on: September 30, 2006, 01:25:44 PM »
Yesterday while re-organising our lounge after re-decorating, I managed to knock my only Monart piece off the window sill while hanging our new terracota windsor velvet curtains  :cry:  :(
I have had this vase for over 12 years, since it was left to me by my nanny (My mum's mum) in her Will. I have no idea how much money the vase was worth as Monart glass has never been my bag. Although the vase was in pristine condition I have never been into bright and vivid colours. I have been a Scandanaivian Glass collector for many years, in particular the Orrefors factory and anything they produced between 1920 1965, and usually by certain designers and artists who worked there between those years. I have quite a large collection today, of more than 100 select pieces. I there is anybody out there who could give some guide as to the original value of this smashed Monart Vase it would be very much appriciated. At least with the insurance money I will be able to add to my Orrefors collection when a nice piece comes up in the future.
Details of the vase are as follows: According to Frank's web site of archive photos the vase was the same as the JF code design, but my vase was 10.3/4" inches high, 8.5" inches at its widest point with the rim of the vase being 5" inches wide. The colour from base up was a mottled orange running into mottled green & black with gold inclusions, it had a wonderful foot with a ground pontil. I am new to this site so I don't really know how to post a photo of the vase but it anybody would like to see how this vase looked please e-mail me and I'll send you a picture which I had on file.
Thanks Again
Tiger

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 01:37:16 PM »
Hello,

Sorry to hear about your vase getting broken. I don't know how to determine the value of it other than having a professional appraiser provide you with some sort of document, but now that it's broken it's too late for that I think. I may be wrong, but I'm not sure if an insurance company will take the word of someone a an internet message board or not, but if they do please leave me their number etc., so I can sign up with them too. --- Mike

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
here's mine
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 01:50:30 PM »
Ouch, sad development. Frank knows values, so I'm sure he'll post.

The way it would work here in the States is that the homeowners (or renters) insurance would cover specific damage to something while moving, although some policies require hard copy reference (written, photographic) of items that are at risk. Some folks just take pictures of every room in their house and add these to their policy portfolio. My policy has a basic $10,000 replacement limit for things specifically damaged in a move. There's also a separate clause for things specifically lost during a move.

If the Monart were mine this is what would happen, at least with my policy: After the fact, there would have to be an estimate of value by an expert in the field (antique dealer, author, lecturer, glass artisan), or a receipt of purchase. I'd also have to have the vase on a written or photographic list with the policy. The good news is that as we purchase items we can simply get a notorized note from a Notary Public as to new acquisitions and slip the note into the policy folder.

Insurance companies do make everything difficult, but if it's in print in the policy, you're golden. I guess if there's a silver lining, you prefer a different style and maker of glass over Monart, but I'm sure it's still difficult to deal with.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 01:50:55 PM »
I would take the pieces together with a photo of the original to a local quality auction house and ask for their help.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand