No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bohemian Enamelled Glass Bowl  (Read 1732 times)

Offline lenore

• Members
Bohemian Enamelled Glass Bowl
« on: July 03, 2005, 07:17:17 PM »
Hi!
Here is a beautiful bowl that has red and gold enameling and a frosted like look with an octapus like design. The base has a large oval polished pontil. Any ideas as to the origin, maker, age, etc.? As always, many thanks!
Lenore
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/alavintage1/bohemianbowl.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/alavintage1/bohemianbowldetail.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/alavintage1/bohemianbowlbase.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
bohemian
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 07:59:56 AM »
I've got a vague recollection of having a very similar piece in green a few years ago that according to my little book had a Moser signature on it. Far from certain but maybe a starting point.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline lenore

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 01:37:02 PM »
Hi Paul!
I just re-examined this piece very closely from all angles to see if I perhaps missed a signature and found nothing. Would you perhaps remember which Moser signature was on your bowl that may provide a date of manufacturer? Maybe this piece predates 1895 when few pieces were signed but rather bore a paper label? This piece is fairly heavy and somewhat crude and the enamel decoration is heavy but sort of sloppy if you will. It feels old and my first thought was Moser. It has the same shape of a bowl pictured in Baldwin's Moser Artistic Glass book Edition Two Plate #38 minus the handles and the feet. How would you describe the octopus design? As acid cut-back crystal? Oh, so many questions! If only this bowl could talk!
Thanks so much Paul!
Lenore

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline lenore

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 03:18:44 PM »
Thought I would just revisit this....
Thanks for any help w/an ID.
Lenore :lol:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk