Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!
Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: Baccarat Michelangelo Vase - Shattered!  (Read 869 times)

Offline jnickell

• Members
Baccarat Michelangelo Vase - Shattered!
« on: October 02, 2006, 02:33:03 AM »
I have just realized that I have owned a Baccarat Michelangelo 7 inch vase for approximately 25 years. It has the Baccarat signature on the bottom and is beautifully etched. The sad news is that I did not know until last week when I turned it over after it was shattered by a handyman doing work in our home. My mother purchased it many years ago in a garage sale without realizing it was Baccarat.
I would love to get information on when this etched style vase was first designed by Baccarat and what the approximate value would have been before it was shattered (vase is probably approximately 40 years old). I am planning on purchasing a new one valued at $320. I have read that crystal many times does not go up in value and that a new piece of the same type may have a higher value? Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 07:23:28 AM »
Cut and etched glass, as with other techniques, tend to be subject to fashion trends as far the second market is concerned and are currently not widely popular. There are signs that this is about to change, which could be just in time as the art of fine engraving is at risk of disappearing.
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
    • old website
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 07:26:33 AM »
If it is covered by the handyman's liability insurance, go for the replacement regardless of cost.
Ivo
► BLUE HENRY ◄
 New Book: The Almost Forgotten Story of the Blue Glass Sputum Flask

all texts and pictures (c) Ivo Haanstra.

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand