No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars factory photograph...................  (Read 5478 times)

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
wow
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 03:48:58 PM »
Amazing that neither artisans are wearing heat-resistant gloves, especially the man holding the rod.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Whitefriars factory photograph...................
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 03:57:18 PM »
Judging from the pattern on the shirt (!!  8)  ) the pic would seem to date from the 1970s, before Health and Safety got their grubby mitts on the law of the land...
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 06:34:52 AM »
Still don't wear gloves. Nanny state has not reached that far. Having done Willie Manson's paperweight course, we didn't have gloves. The rod does not get hot at the point it is held - as that is 2 feet from the glass. Even when shaping the weight with the wood gloves aren't used. A canister of spray on burn relief is close by though.

As to the button, the one distinctive feature of a whitefriars weight is the base where the button in which the design is set is distinct as their is a groove and then an outer rim. When the glass is attached to the button as in the photo, it will be allowed to drop slightly below the button to get this effect. Other makers will put the glass on the top and then smooth it out so they never have the grooved effect of a whitefriars base
Martin

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
wow
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 06:43:39 AM »
Fascinating. Absolutely fascinating. I'm curious as to how often one is burned by a bit or glob of molten glass?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 08:09:55 AM »
Most of the burns come from the flying fragments of leftover metal (glass) as the iron is dropped in the bucket of water after removing the object.

Patrick your picture has a prominent copyright notice do you actually have the specific consent of the museum to use this image here?

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 09:14:38 AM »
Quote from: "mjr"
Still don't wear gloves. Nanny state has not reached that far. Having done Willie Manson's paperweight course, we didn't have gloves. The rod does not get hot at the point it is held - as that is 2 feet from the glass. Even when shaping the weight with the wood gloves aren't used. A canister of spray on burn relief is close by though.

Each to his own. Different people have different heat thresholds. All our students are issued with heat resistant kevlar sleeves and safety glasses, and gloves are available if required.

It depends on the type of work you are doing. Quite a lot of the time I use a kevlar glove since some of my work requires it. These gloves weren't available when these photos were taken.

While I understand that some people have had bad experiences with Health and Safety regulations, many of these are common sense and I always approach it from the point of view that it is my own health and safety that needs protecting and then extending that protection to others as well!  :D

Btw all our courses start with a simple safety briefing without which students are unable to proceed, and because people are likely to forget between courses they have to go through the same briefing each time. The briefing takes place sitting down away from the distractions of the hot shop.

Handling the glass can be so exciting for most people that it is very easy to forget that while the iron is cool 2ft away from the glass, it is very hot 2ft 6in away from the glass!! :D
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 09:16:17 AM »
Quote from: "Frank"
Most of the burns come from the flying fragments of leftover metal (glass) as the iron is dropped in the bucket of water after removing the object.

Actually, although most people won't admit it, most burns come from carelessness and momentary loss of concentration.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 10:40:43 AM »
Quote from: "aa"

Actually, although most people won't admit it, most burns come from carelessness and momentary loss of concentration.

Actually a lot of people are caused by carelessness and momentary loss of concentration....

:oops:
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 02:07:04 PM »
IMPORTANT

Patrick your picture has a prominent copyright notice do you actually have the specific consent of the museum to use this image here?

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 06:19:24 PM »
Hi Frank, Sorry I have not replied sonner................. Yes they are happy for me to publish the images on glass forums and the like. See Whitefriars.com Preveously unpublished photos, under the Learn section.
 The only issue is that maybe the photograpers that took the picture may have the original copyright . As the images are over 30 years old I do not think this is a problem but if you do, perhaps you would remove the image..  Regards Patrick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand