No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Meri Lasi Finnish Glass (Muurla Lasi)  (Read 22592 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Meri Lasi Finnish Glass (Muurla Lasi)
« on: January 13, 2005, 03:45:26 PM »
I've been looking for info on Meri Lasi glass but can't find anything online in English apart from references to long-gone eBay auction items. Can anyone tell me about this firm please? Are they still in existence or have they closed? If closed, when were they in business?  I've just bought a Meri Lasi item (in a box with its original label) because I like the design, but cannot find any mentions of it anywhere.  :?

Any info would be most welcome, thanks all!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 03:59:37 PM »
::)   Started 1982 in Helsinki, making cast and centrifugal glass, chief designer Paavo Mäkelä since 1982, should still be around according to recent information... ::)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 04:28:59 PM »
Thank you for the info Ivo, much appreciated. I wonder why there's so little about them if they're still active?

The piece I bought is called Tulivuori (volcano), and the box says hand-made Finnish glass, design Pertti Kallioinen. I'm thinking that this is the person who designed the pieces, yes? I couldn't find anything in English about him either.

I've no idea when this design was made - does anyone recognise the pattern name please?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 07:19:27 PM »
I think I know the piece - it takes a aluminium capsuled votive in the top of a volcano-shaped bloc of crystal, right? That is 1 magnificent piece of design - especially coming from a country with no volcanoes at all, neither active nor dormant.....

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 12:09:46 AM »
Ivo, it has seven recesses that take tealights, all at slightly different levels, the effect when lit is beautiful. It's not a solid block of crystal though, it's like a plate that's been formed into the volcano shape.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 11:19:01 PM »
Correction to my previous post, it has 6 spaces for tea lights, the one pictured on the box has 7 though!

Picture here:  http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-15

I've still not found anything much about the makers - I can't find them listed in Ivo's Glass Facts File either - could they be listed under something other than Meri Lasi or Pertti Kallioinen?

Any info about this glassmaker would be welcome. Thanks!

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 09:56:21 AM »
Your Volcano was made by Muurla Lasi. It's shown on their website along with several other similar items. Muurla also make a range of vases that have an "Aalto" look to them.

Muurla is on the main road between Helsinki and Turku, and it has been in business since 1975. It's a great place to stop off and enjoy a "Roberts" coffee and a calorific cake while watching skilled glass craftsmen produce items on the factory floor! Their coffee lounge is located the other side of a thick glass viewing wall. They also have a factory shop that is packed with their glassware and other tempting Finnish goodies, as well as a Seconds department. We have never been able to bring back much of their glass back home as it is very heavy - which doesn't work too well when one is flying.

Oh yes, Muurla is also a useful place to know about if you happen to be there on a Sunday. It's about the only place open (except for petrol filling stations)  :lol:

http://www.muurlanlasi.com

Choose Collection in the menu, and then Romantica candle items. Under that section you will find Volcano.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 10:00:09 AM »
No they're not in - they managed to stay out of the limelight - in the shade of bigger sister Muurla. They seem to have a very good distributor - I see their glass everywhere.

While there I looked through your other pictures. Here are a few that jumped out:
20/80: Florentine (Empoli)
23/80: Murano, lower end
30/80 and 33/80: Zhaohai Light Industries, China
61-63/80: IVV, Industria Vetreria Valdarnese, Italy

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 11:49:46 AM »
Glen:
Thank you for finding the piece and for pointing me to Muurla - I'd not managed to find this on my own. The piece I have is the same as that on Muurla but it is definitely in a Meri Lasi box complete with a Meri Lasi label so I wonder if both works made the same design, or if one sold the design to the other glassworks? The box on mine looks rather elderly rather than it being a brand new piece, so it's still a bit of a puzzle. ;)

Ivo:
What can I say? Thank you very much. You've solved one of my mysteries - the spiral decanter which I've been pondering on the board since I bought it - and given me more info about some of the others, including one of my mother's favourites (the big blue piece you ID'ed as Florentine).  

Ref Muurla and Meri, are you saying there's a connection between the two glassworks or is it that they are just both Finnish companies?

Thanks to you both for your info.  :D

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 03:36:08 PM »
If Muurla glass ends up in your collection with a Merilasi box and label, there HAS TO BE a connection - either in the production itself or in the distribution of the product. There are many examples of manufacturers buying glass from colleagues and putting on their own label - but knowing the Fins they talked about this on their Nokias beforehand.  Maybe the question is "who else sells volcanoes, who actually produces them, and does it really matter?"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand