No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help identify this huge stemware.  (Read 2253 times)

Offline nppubs

• Members
Please help identify this huge stemware.
« on: October 04, 2006, 06:10:08 PM »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help me.  I recently purchased six large pieces of glass at auction.  The items were a lot, straight out of an antiques freight crate from England.  The consignee is pretty reputable in the area so I am sure these pieces are at least vintage.  I am currently researching the amber piece.  I am going to place a link to the album, I think...http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=215
Seems to work on preview. Cool!  At any rate, I'm looking for opinions on possible manufacturer as well as proper nomenclature of such large stemmed pieces.  I tried the EBay search thing (everything is on Ebay if you know what to call it, right?) but I didn't come up with anything.

Thanks in advance for any help!
PPubs

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 07:13:06 PM »
They are very common in all the colours and all the sizes here in the UK. I suspect they date from the 1960/70s, possibly 50s, and are Italian. Now someone can tell me I'm wrong  :lol:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nppubs

• Members
I'll take Italian...
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 07:20:48 PM »
...but what do I call them?  They each have a bubble here or there, the amber one more than a few.  Whether that's bad or not, I can't decide.  I think that it adds character.  But I'm a very forgiving person.  :wink:

I've noticed a growing trend on EBay.  I think that shipping charges put American buyers off (and vice versa) but I see Americans buying Engish items from Americans.  Funny in a way.
Thanks for the update!  I look forward to any arguments someone might have for you.   8)
PPubs

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 07:39:44 PM »
Brandy glasses/goblets/balloons or brandy glass vases. See here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200031881973
I knew I knew the answer.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 08:05:25 PM »
I know this style was popular in the 70's, if not before, because my Mum has several, some with tops with a sort of knop on.  I remember buying her one new for a present with my saved up pocket money when I was little.   :D

I particularly like nppubs tall, smokey grey/brown one, with the quilted pattern - and they certainly look great all together!   :D  :D
I am not a man

Offline nppubs

• Members
I like that one too!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 05:06:30 AM »
The tall smokey diamond quilt one is my favorite.  It also has an airtwist stem.  Four bubbles (with a couple little strays that got caught up along the way too).  That sucker is heavy!  The top is sliced straight across and the glass is pretty thick.   I've been scouting through reference sites with all the examples for names you've given and so far it's still pretty thin pickings, and hard to date.  Of course I am a novice in this so I get strayed a lot.  Most of the pieces are smaller than these.  That's all right though. I'll find some more of them eventually!
PPubs

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 06:38:20 AM »
Probably pretty thin pickings because they don't sell very well. They sell better with a Beswick mouse in the bottom and a Beswick cat peering over the rim. You'll find at least one variant in virtually every charity shop and at every boot sale here. Not that there's anything wrong with them, they're just not in.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 06:40:17 AM »
Nppubs, perhaps you could add your location to your profile information?  Sometimes it cuts down time for people identifying your item.  :D

Of course I am a novice in this so I get strayed a lot

You are welcome to post items you're interested in here or ask questions, we're happy to help someone starting out.   :D
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand