No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Interesting auction  (Read 4082 times)

Offline alexander

• Members
Interesting auction
« on: October 05, 2006, 12:57:41 AM »
Here's an interesting auction i found, the listing is a lot of 12 pieces, some unknowns but one early Baccarat, one early Saint Louis, modern Trabucco, modern Twists ( Mike Hunter ) etc.

Thought i'd pass it along, i'm unable to bid on all myself, wish they'd split the lot. Starting price of 1500 euros - approx 1900-2000 usd.

They've appraiced it a bit low imho?

http://www.lauritz.com/Item/Item.aspx?LanguageId=2&ItemId=799181&nBids=5
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
hunh?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 05:33:13 AM »
This is a very strange auction. Obviously somebody in charge made a very bad decision about how to sell the paperweights. Nobody in their right mind groups a Baccarat, a Trabucco, a Hunter, a St. Louis, and a Perthshire with 4 Chinese weights, unless they're a neophyte seller on eBay.

I can't believe this assortment wasn't separated in a much, much better fashion. The miniature Trabucco (the weight with the delicate pink rose buds on lace), by the way, is not by Victor, but by his twin sons Jon and David.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Interesting auction
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 08:00:39 AM »
You'd be amazed how they group things, quite often the rubbish is mixed in with the good stuff, as otherwise it won't sell at all.  It depends also on how the vendor wishes to split the lots.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Leni

• Members
Interesting auction
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 08:05:20 AM »
What an eclectic mixture!  Looks a bit like some of my collection  :lol:

But we saw exactly the same hodge-podge of makes (and values!) in the auction the London Glassaholics visited at Christies in London earlier this year!   :shock:  

Even 'top' auction houses don't seem to have a clue about paperweights!  :?
Leni

Offline alexander

• Members
Interesting auction
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 10:09:35 AM »
I agree, the mix is terrible, and with almost no signature photos, no descriptions of the condition of the pieces, provenance etc they won't get as good a price as they could have gotten.

This auction house along with others here in Scandinavia has a problem in that they're old fashioned brick and mortar houses adapting to the net.

They do sell a lot of stuff that people bring them when the sellers don't know what they have - sometimes the auction houses are just as bad in terms of knowledge.

The valuation on this collection shows that someone at least has a clue to it's monetary value, just no clue as to how to present it well for potential buyers.

A good thing tho as it should bode well for future aquisitions from them  :wink:
Alexander

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Interesting auction
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 10:24:27 AM »
Quote from: "alexander"

The valuation on this collection shows that someone at least has a clue to it's monetary value, just no clue as to how to present it well for potential buyers.

A good thing tho as it should bode well for future aquisitions from them  :wink:

But there you are, you see, they DO have a clue how to present it for potential buyers.  Everyone wants to get a bargain. If you think you have found some wonders in with the dross, you will want to bid on it.  If it is a single well catalogued piece, you may think it will go far too high and not bother.

I think it is reverse psychology in action  That and a deep knowledge of buyer greed...    :wink:  :wink:
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline alexander

• Members
Interesting auction
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 10:43:29 AM »
I dunno - gathering them all up and setting a minimum price of almost 2000 dollars they're excluding quite a few collectors.

It may be a bargain but at that price i know i can't afford to buy even if i sold some pieces, especially since they don't show signatures or provenace on the Baccarat and the Saint Louis, a few fakes in the bunch and it wouldn't be worth it.

And i know this auction house isn't as professional as one would expect when it comes to presentation online - i think they've grown too fast and haven't been able to recruit enough personell.
Alexander

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Interesting auction
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 02:49:00 PM »
Quote from: "alexander"
i think they've grown too fast and haven't been able to recruit enough personell.

Huge advantage in having only high ticket lots, you need a lot less staff to manage all the bureaucracy and warehousing. Why should they worry about $50 or less lots, they are effectively wholesalers - so good for dealers at least.

Offline alexander

• Members
Interesting auction
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 04:33:32 PM »
I see the auction ended without bids, found another lot same place, modern chinese? No information given other than "recent".

What do you think?
Thanks for you input - i'm new to paperweights and still learning the basics.

Bigger image Here
Alexander

Offline Leni

• Members
Interesting auction
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 05:14:44 PM »
Some Chinese, some Murano, some possibly Murano-Chinese imports?  Prices?  They go for between £1.99 and £9.99 on ebay.
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand