No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anyone famous collecting paperweights today?  (Read 2254 times)

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
Anyone famous collecting paperweights today?
« on: October 04, 2006, 02:16:50 AM »
Paperweight literature has noted some famous folks who collected paperweights. Men and women such as Colette, Robert Guggenheim, King Farouk, Truman Capote, Queen Mary, Eva Peron, Queen Victoria and Prince Albert (who seemed to have collected everything), and others have long been mentioned.

Then there are the folks who are famous merely for collecting, not because they are royalty, cinema stars, thespians, novelists, or politicians, etc. These famous collectors, actually ordinary albeit lucky or wealthy citizens are Evangeline Bergstrom, Arthur Rubloff, Jennie Sinclair, Margaret Strong, Paul Jokelson, Amo Houghton, et. al. All, alas, are part of past collecting history.

My question is this: has anyone heard of, or does one know, famous folks living today who collect glass paperweights? Honestly, here in the States, one never hears of well-known folks who collect paperweights. But, I'm wondering if in the U.K. France, Italy, Germany, the Netherlands, etc., there have been newspaper articles or television segments on notable people who collect glass paperweights.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 11:33:09 AM »
Usually they come to the fore due to the marketing of the sale-room disposing the collection. Generally this is a post-humous exercise and the only parties motivated to create such publicity being the manufacturers or leading retailers.

On the other hand 'The' Kevin Holt is known to be a collector of paperweights. Put "Kevin Holt paperweight" in Google to determine fame status (=643) 8)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
kevin is popular
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 11:55:05 AM »
Touche Frank. Typing Kevin Holt Paperweight into Google, I got 664 possible links. Typing in Kevin Holt Paperweights (plural), I got 947. Hats off to Kevin. Now if you can let me know what movies he's starred in.  :wink:

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 06:48:23 PM »
I once appeared in a video - ok, it was "just" an IT-based training session, but, hey, I looked really cool and spoke fantastically well.
 :wink:  :)

As for the question of truly famous people collecting paperweights, in the UK it's the same as in the US ... those who do exist are not known to most folks.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
klieg lights please
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 11:33:47 PM »
A star is born. So, how about transfering the tape to digital and posting it on your website? The process is actually a snap. I think we'd all enjoy seeing it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand