No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown Scottish manufacturer....  (Read 1897 times)

Offline cfosterk

• Members
Unknown Scottish manufacturer....
« on: October 14, 2006, 07:05:15 PM »
I think the blue ground paperweight is an absolute stunner - my pics are awful!

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l139/cfosterk/DSCF0116.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l139/cfosterk/DSCF0115.jpg

I inherited a 'one of everything' collection from my dad - the orange ground weight was his, the blue mine! I think i have a reasonable eye, and I've reviewed all of Kevins amazing stuff, but I can't decide!!!!

Some of the canes look to be Vasart - but the set up just seems too sophisicated when handled!!

The mauve cane is repeated in the orange ground weight. Comprises four daisy 'cog' canes in pale yellow and white encased in a mauve tube, then clear glass, before a hexagonal white within pink casing. I'm sure I've seen this in a Strathearn weight somewhere!!

Outer canes comprise seven inner canes in quite vibrant colours, encased in a white inner, and a pale green eight cog outer.

HELP!!!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 06:24:45 AM »
The canes look too crisp to be Strathern to me. Strathern's canes have a kind a blended look to me like the colours have run together.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 02:32:00 PM »
These could both be either Vasart (56 to 64) or Strathearn (65 to 80, but earlier years more likely). With canes standing well out of the ground, Vasart may be a better bet.

Under UV light, they could only be separated as pre-56 (i.e. Ysart Brothers Glass) or later. I suspect that these would not show as Ysart Brothers period - but without doing the check, we can't say for sure.

Regarding canes, we should remember that many seen in Strathearn weights were actually made in the Vasart years. And some were even from the Ysart Brothers time - or even possibly 1930s out of the Moncrieff period! For example, I think the central cane in the blue ground weight is one from the pre-1956 time.

Richard More's site ( http://strathearn.smugmug.com/ ) is much better than mine for comparing Vasart / Strathearn weights.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand