No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID = Richardsons salt with peacock feather trails  (Read 6934 times)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
ID = Richardsons salt with peacock feather trails
« on: March 30, 2004, 09:54:34 AM »
I recently bought what I think is a small Stuart Cairngorm small bowl, probably a salt? The bowl itself is a peach colour rather than clear, but has the applied green Cairngorm decoration. Incidentally, it is identical to one owned by my aunt left to her by an old lady who died forty years ago. It is 5 3/8" across and stands 2 3/4" high.

Firstly, did Stuart ever do the Cairngorm pattern on a peachy-orange body colour?

Secondly, a really stupid question, and an admission of some particularly stupid behaviour. I was gingerly transporting it to a safe place, but for some reason I had my keys in my hands at the same time. My three year old dashed around the corner, and in nervous reaction I snatched it up high, and my keys clattered on its side. Upon inspecting it, I discovered a small chip and a slight hairline on the applied frill decoration around its waist - and I hadn't checked it properly beforehand. I am not sure whether the chip was my fault with the keys or whether the vendor had missed it! Is it likely that banging with a set of keys (not greatly heavy) could have caused the damage (I suspect it is possible).

How much would the small (2mm) chip and tiny hairline in the frill detract from the value of the piece? Is there anything that I can do to stabilise the crack so that it doesn't spread, or is it possible to have the piece repaired?

Cathy.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Photograph of the object in question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 02:20:58 AM »
Hi,

http://tinyurl.com/ysf8l

As mentioned, my guess is that this is a Stuart and Sons "Cairngorm" piece, probably a salt, 5 3/8" across, 2 3/4" high (ref: http://www.great-glass.co.uk).

Does anyone agree?

Since I can't say whether or not the small chip was there before I received it or not, I guess I have no come back. I don't believe the keys could have done the damage to the piece (certainly I have been over the floor with a fine toothed comb and can't find the missing piece), but then it is impossible to say for sure and would be unfair to the vendor to do anything about it. Next time, I will inspect the piece the second I unpack it. And not unpack it until any unruly children are in bed!

One should have either glass, or toddlers. Never both.

At least the piece is in better condition than my aunt's one. My poor old grandmother's rhuemy fingers have dropped, bumped and chipped it many times. Arthritic grandparents are even worse than toddlers!

Cathy.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Archive candidate
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 09:33:26 AM »
Cathy, can you repost picture/s on GlassGallery http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk please.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Stevens & Williams bowl - Peacock Feathers
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 08:00:35 AM »
Hi Frank

Here's that picture again: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2017

Does anyone have any ideas who might have made this? The cairngorm pattern is similar but not in these colours.

Cathy

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 09:12:34 AM »
Cathy
Yes colors different but the rim and tadpole style is similar to Terry's here:
Stuart or Harrach ?
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1901.0.html
Pete

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 11:49:59 AM »
Hi Cathy,
from pieces illustrated in the books I have on Victorian glass, for all intents & purposes, your piece looks like Stuart.
I agree, the pink/peach colour is highly unusual,the documented Stuart ones tend to be clear with green decoration. But it could be an experimental piece or rare variation.
Whatever it is, it's lovely!
Don't worry too much about the crack, it's an old item, & we all end up showing our age somehow..... :roll:
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 12:36:26 PM »
Hello Marinka! Thanks for your reply.

I've followed Frank's link back and note Bernard's comments which were that many of the Stourbridge companies were using the same styles of trailing, and that such decoration is known to have been made by both Walsh and Stuart, so it's reasonable to assume that it was fairly a common technique. (Have I read Bernard's explanation correctly?)

Thanks again,
Cathy

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 12:41:05 PM »
Good grief, I've just seen it attributed to S&W. It looks like mine, and my aunts are missing stands.

http://www.antiquecolouredglass.info/Stevens%20&%20Williams%20Antique%20Glass.htm

Can anyone confirm this attribution?

Thanks

Cathy

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 01:01:02 PM »
Well spotted,Cathy! :)
It certainly looks just like yours.
The S & W attribution could explain the colour- it just didn't look like a Stuart colour for this type of item....
Sorry I can't confirm totally, but it seems likely you've found it...
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Archive candidate
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 04:52:10 PM »
Andrew Lineham is a good source and a second generation glass dealer. Interesting that he uses the term Tear Drop decoration.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand